Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: passive voice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default passive voice

    This message had been deleted by my father.
    This is passive, right?
    This message had been deleted.
    And what tense is this?
    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    16,964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: passive voice

    It's still passive. One of the reasons to use the passive is when you don't know who performed the action or you want to avoid saying who did it.

    [not a teacher]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: passive voice

    Thank you for the explanation, so mean I can write or say
    The meeting had been canceled, and I don't know why.
    The class has been dismissed; therefore, I am at home now.
    The shirt had been washed, when I got here.

  4. #4
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    16,964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: passive voice

    Yes, in terms of the passive.

    The meeting had been cancelled is in the past perfect, so I expect to hear about a subsequent action. When we go there, we found that the meeting had been cancelled, so we all went home.

    Also, omit the comma in your last example.

    [still not a teacher]

  5. #5
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: passive voice

    In the first example the verb was both passive and in the past perfect. 'Passive' isn't a tense.

    b
    Last edited by BobK; 09-Oct-2007 at 16:26. Reason: Fixed typo ("paasive")

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: passive voice

    I thought past perfect is had + past participle.
    I had studied English before I moved to U.S.
    I had lived in Utah for seven years.
    If
    The had been canceled is past perfect, why been in that sentence.
    I'm confused. Thank you.

  7. #7
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: passive voice

    Quote Originally Posted by misscarlas View Post
    I thought past perfect is had + past participle.
    I had studied English before I moved to U.S.
    I had lived in Utah for seven years.
    If
    The had been canceled is past perfect, why been in that sentence.
    I'm confused. Thank you.
    Good day to you, Miss Carlas.

    In English the passive is formed by using,

    S+ [the appropriate form of the 'be' verb] + the past participle.

    A. Someone had canceled the meeting.

    A. The meeting had been canceled, and I don't know why.

    The appropriate form of the 'be' verb is 'been' because that is what the past perfect would use.

    B. Someone has dismissed the class.

    B. The class has been dismissed; therefore, I am at home now.

    C. Someone dismissed the class.

    C. {What do you think?}

    D. Someone is dismissing the class.

    D. {What do you think?}

    E. Someone dismisses the class everyday at 3:30 PM.

    E. {What do you think?}

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: passive voice

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Good day to you, Miss Carlas.

    In English the passive is formed by using,

    S+ [the appropriate form of the 'be' verb] + the past participle.

    A. Someone had canceled the meeting.

    A. The meeting had been canceled, and I don't know why.

    The appropriate form of the 'be' verb is 'been' because that is what the past perfect would use.

    B. Someone has dismissed the class.

    B. The class has been dismissed; therefore, I am at home now.

    C. Someone dismissed the class.

    C. {What do you think?}

    D. Someone is dismissing the class.

    D. {What do you think?}

    E. Someone dismisses the class everyday at 3:30 PM.

    E. {What do you think?}

    C. Simple past.
    D. simple present.
    E. simple present.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default the answer are

    c. simple past
    D. simple present tense
    E. simple present tense

  10. #10
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the answer are

    Quote Originally Posted by misscarlas View Post
    c. simple past
    D. simple present tense
    E. simple present tense

    Sorry I wasn't clearer, Miss Carlas, but I intended that you try to write in the passive form for the active examples, C, D, & E.

    A. The meeting had been canceled, and I don't know why.

    The appropriate form of the 'be' verb is 'been' because that is what the past perfect would use.

    B. Someone has dismissed the class.

    B. The class has been dismissed; therefore, I am at home now.

    C. Someone dismissed the class.

    C.

    D. Someone is dismissing the class.

    D.

    E. Someone dismisses the class everyday at 3:30 PM.

    E.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Passive voice or active voice
    By fleming in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-Jun-2006, 03:38
  2. What is different between perfect tense and passive voice?
    By callonghouse in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Mar-2006, 03:13
  3. organization
    By Aldana in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2005, 10:20
  4. passive voice
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2004, 21:08
  5. english grammar
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2003, 15:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk