Thread: Into..Onto

Post Thanks / Like

Default Into..Onto

Hello to Everyone

I am a student of English of second language for my own. I love to write, to speak and to dream in english. It's an amazing language, and I would to master it. I've got a general and specific question.
    My general question is how can I get a perfect and accurate accent? Unfortunately my native language is Spanish. I don't want to speak spanish anymore, and I'd love to get a perfect english accent. I'm trying speaking in english as much as possible, watching movies in english and listening tons of audio books. But I think, it's not enough, people even can't understand me, I don't know what's wrong me?
    My another question is about the use of the preposition "into" "onto", honestly I've had a lot of headache trying to figure out the correct use of those words.
    I'd thank whatever answer or suggestion.
    Santiago Ludwig

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Into..Onto

Firstly, what do you understand to be a "perfect and accurate accent"? There are many different accents, so do you want an American one, or a British one, or an Australian one, or what?

Into/onto [prepositions of direction] - look at this site for a good explanation: Prepositions of Direction: To, On (to), In (to)

Birgitte is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Santiagoludwig View Post
    Hello to Everyone

I am a student of English of second language for my own. I love to write, to speak and to dream in english. It's an amazing language, and I would to master it. I've got a general and specific question.
    My general question is how can I get a perfect and accurate accent? Unfortunately my native language is Spanish. I don't want to speak spanish anymore, and I'd love to get a perfect english accent. I'm trying speaking in english as much as possible, watching movies in english and listening tons of audio books. But I think, it's not enough, people even can't understand me, I don't know what's wrong me?
    My another question is about the use of the preposition "into" "onto", honestly I've had a lot of headache trying to figure out the correct use of those words.
    I'd thank whatever answer or suggestion.
    Santiago Ludwig

The accents and intonations of some languages are more difficult to overcome than others - I find that French and Spanish native speakers are often difficult to understand. However, this may also be because these countries traditionally practise listening and reading above speech and conversation. If listening to films and audio books hasn't helped you, the next step should be to find native English speakers who are not just willing to talk to you, but also to correct your pronounciation - a need and a wish you will have to be very explicit about.
    Birgitte/Denmark

e2e4 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

I am about trying to understand English grammar as well and would say my opinion.

You can enter into the house and put books onto the desk.
    You can't enter onto the house and put books into the desk.

There was a comp on his desk.
    We are going into the museum.
    I bit into an apple when saw a snake at the front of me.

Could be a lot of chairs or rooms in the house, or inside the house but usually you will not say could be a lot of rooms into the house.
    Into is used if are you entering into something but not if something is already inside something else.
    Into is used if are you pushing something into something else but at the moment of speaking.
    Also you can't say we are going to go into Italy next week.
    You can say We are going to go to Italy next week.

etc..
    Comments welcome.
    Last edited by e2e4; 17-Nov-2007 at 04:49.

mirage@ is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

only good.