Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Quote on quote - can u explain?

    What does "quote on quote" mean?

    Could you also show the meaning in context?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quote on quote - can u explain?

    Quote Originally Posted by besthost View Post
    What does "quote on quote" mean?

    Could you also show the meaning in context?

    Thanks.
    Why don't you give us an example sentence where it is used. I have never seen this used.

    Personally I think you have written it wrong. I think you mean "quote unquote"

  3. #3
    meez is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quote on quote - can u explain?

    Do you mean quote in quote...?

    Something like:
    "We couldn't believe he said 'the room service was acceptable'," they said.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quote on quote - can u explain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    Why don't you give us an example sentence where it is used. I have never seen this used.

    Personally I think you have written it wrong. I think you mean "quote unquote"
    Yeah, my mistake. It's 'quote-unquote' what I meant. I looked it up on the internet and now I know it means the same as "so called".

    Thanks very much.

  5. #5
    Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quote on quote - can u explain?

    Quote Originally Posted by besthost View Post
    Yeah, my mistake. It's 'quote-unquote' what I meant. I looked it up on the internet and now I know it means the same as "so called".

    Thanks very much.
    Yes, it is usually used only in speaking English.

    I don't like John too much. He thinks he is a quote-unquote expert on relationships.

    If you were writing this, you would write it

    I don't like John too much. He thinks he is a "expert" on relationships.

    It is a way of showing sarcasm.

Similar Threads

  1. please can you explain?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Aug-2007, 00:44
  2. help me, to help me, explain me, explain to me
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2007, 17:00
  3. Describe, Discuss and Explain
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jan-2007, 06:52
  4. Could you explain this to / for me?
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2006, 01:35
  5. Please help me explain the Present Perfect
    By Susie Smith in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22-May-2004, 19:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •