Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default sentence structure

    would u tell me what is the differant between these two sentences;

    I am going to have to knockle down to same serious study.

    I am goin to knouckle down to same serious study.

    Please enlight me what does to have mean in the first sentense
    thank u in advance

  2. #2
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence structure

    Quote Originally Posted by mousa View Post
    would u tell me what is the differant between these two sentences;

    I am going to have to knockle down to same serious study.

    I am goin to knouckle down to same serious study.

    Please enlight me what does to have mean in the first sentense
    thank u in advance
    1.Firstly, I don`t know what knocle down means.Maybe you wanted to say knuckle down which mean to apply oneself vigorously and earnestly; become serious.
    2.
    a] I am going to knuckle down and have some serious study - you have planned to do it.

    b] I have to knuckle down and study seriously/have some serious study - external obligation; you have to do it because your teacher says that you have to study more than you have [studied] until now.

  3. #3
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence structure

    Quote Originally Posted by mousa View Post
    would u tell me what is the differant between these two sentences;

    I am going to have to knuckle [knockle] down to some serious study.

    I am going to knuckle down to some serious study.

    Please enlighten me as to what 'have to' means in the first sentence
    thank u in advance
    This is a good example of modal/semi-modal meanings.

    'have to' means there is some force acting upon "I": maybe personal guilt, maybe a professors's/teacher's admonishment, maybe parent's bugging "I", that is causing "I" to feel the need to study.

    The second more reflects "I's" personal choice to start some serious study though it doesn't necessarily mean that this expressed choice hasn't been somewhat influenced by those same people.

  4. #4
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence structure

    Sorry Teia, you beat me to the punch.

  5. #5
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence structure

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Sorry Teia, you beat me to the punch.
    Hi Kid
    Please explain beat me to the punch. I think I can guess its meaning but I`m not sure.

    Thank you.

  6. #6
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence structure

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Hi Kid
    Please explain beat me to the punch. I think I can guess its meaning but I`m not sure.

    Thank you.
    It means that you were first in doing something. It carries with it a connotation that while one was merely thinking something over the other acted on "it".


    Here are some lyrics from a famous 60's [?] tune that I'm sure will help you out, Teia.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    You Beat Me To The Punch
    Mary Wells

    That day, I first saw you passing by
    I wanted, to ask your name but I...was much too shy
    But I was looking at you so hard
    That you must have had a hunch.
    So you came up to me and asked me my name.

    You beat me to the punch
    That time
    You beat me to the punch
    Yes you did.

    After, I had known you for what seems like a long, long time
    I wanted, wanted to ask you would you please, please be mine
    Whenever you came around, my heart would pound
    So you must have had a hunch.
    So you came up to me and asked me to be yours.

    You beat me to the punch
    One more time
    You beat me to the punch
    Yes you did.

    Since I loved you
    I thought you would be true
    And love me tender
    So I let my heart surrender
    To you, yes I did.
    But I found out
    Beyond a doubt
    One day, boy
    You were a playboy
    Who would go away and leave me
    Blue.

    So I ain't gonna wait around for you to put me down
    This time I'm gonna play my hunch
    And walk away this very day.
    And beat you to the punch
    Yes I will
    I'll beat you to the punch
    This time.

  7. #7
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence structure

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    It means that you were first in doing something. It carries with it a connotation that while one was merely thinking something over the other acted on "it".


    Here are some lyrics from a famous 60's [?] tune that I'm sure will help you out, Teia.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    You Beat Me To The Punch
    Mary Wells

    That day, I first saw you passing by
    I wanted, to ask your name but I...was much too shy
    But I was looking at you so hard
    That you must have had a hunch.
    So you came up to me and asked me my name.

    You beat me to the punch
    That time
    You beat me to the punch
    Yes you did.

    After, I had known you for what seems like a long, long time
    I wanted, wanted to ask you would you please, please be mine
    Whenever you came around, my heart would pound
    So you must have had a hunch.
    So you came up to me and asked me to be yours.

    You beat me to the punch
    One more time
    You beat me to the punch
    Yes you did.

    Since I loved you
    I thought you would be true
    And love me tender
    So I let my heart surrender
    To you, yes I did.
    But I found out
    Beyond a doubt
    One day, boy
    You were a playboy
    Who would go away and leave me
    Blue.

    So I ain't gonna wait around for you to put me down
    This time I'm gonna play my hunch
    And walk away this very day.
    And beat you to the punch
    Yes I will
    I'll beat you to the punch
    This time.
    Oh, thank you very much. I`ve come across the same lyrics while searching on google. I`m going to listen to that song! I have to!

    Thanks again.

  8. #8
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence structure

    Hi again Kid !

    I did it. It`s just great!

    YouTube - You beat Me to the punch - Mary Wells(Lowrider)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence structure

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    This is a good example of modal/semi-modal meanings.

    'have to' means there is some force acting upon "I": maybe personal guilt, maybe a professors's/teacher's admonishment, maybe parent's bugging "I", that is causing "I" to feel the need to study.

    The second more reflects "I's" personal choice to start some serious study though it doesn't necessarily mean that this expressed choice hasn't been somewhat influenced by those same people.
    It was well explained for me . I do appericate for that.

  10. #10
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence structure

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Hi again Kid !

    I did it. It`s just great!

    YouTube - You beat Me to the punch - Mary Wells(Lowrider)
    You must have broadband/DSL, Teia. Out here in the boonies all I can get is dialup so it's a royal pain trying to listen to online music and video.

    There's a lot that one can learn about real everyday English from music. It's loaded with idiomatic phrases.

Similar Threads

  1. sentence structure
    By svartnik in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Apr-2007, 19:58
  2. Sentence Structure
    By cleung in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2007, 18:57
  3. sentence structure?
    By jhonsmith1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Feb-2007, 09:07
  4. Sentence type, grammatical structure
    By tangroberta in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2007, 09:14
  5. Asking about the sentence structure
    By Mag in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31-Oct-2006, 21:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •