Post Thanks / Like

Default how to organize an english class

There are around 80 college students in the class(English are taught as a second or foreign language) and the students' level is comparatively low and different from each other. How to organize such a big class and learn english well? As we are welcoming the learner-centered classroom, what activities should be held in class?
    we often divide the whole class into several groups containing 4-6 students each.
    At the beginning of the class, the teacher gives a topic relevant to the text for group discussion and then invite some of them to share their opinion, and then read the new words, read the text, expain the language points and end the class.
    There are a lot of problems:
    1. Students say they don't know how to start the discussion and little vocabulary don't permmit them to express themselves, gradually, this part becomes my intruduction of the text.
    2.It is very boring when coming to the language points part, list the word, explain it in english, make sentences and then next word or phrase.
    3. Students complain they don't know where the important points are
    How to organize some interesting activities to motivate them?
    As they used to learn grammar and do mutiple-choices exercise in middle school, how to turn their attention to listening and speaking?

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how to organize an english class

Quote Originally Posted by sallyhoudongmei View Post
    There are around 80 college students in the class(English are taught as a second or foreign language) and the students' level is comparatively low and different from each other. How to organize such a big class and learn english well? As we are welcoming the learner-centered classroom, what activities should be held in class?
    we often divide the whole class into several groups containing 4-6 students each.
    At the beginning of the class, the teacher gives a topic relevant to the text for group discussion and then invite some of them to share their opinion, and then read the new words, read the text, expain the language points and end the class.
    There are a lot of problems:
    1. Students say they don't know how to start the discussion and little vocabulary don't permmit them to express themselves, gradually, this part becomes my intruduction of the text.
    2.It is very boring when coming to the language points part, list the word, explain it in english, make sentences and then next word or phrase.
    3. Students complain they don't know where the important points are
    How to organize some interesting activities to motivate them?
    As they used to learn grammar and do mutiple-choices exercise in middle school, how to turn their attention to listening and speaking?
    Sally,

Here are a couple of threads where this issue was discussed. Real life is the best way for anyone to learn a language. These threads discuss real life class situations. Discussion of topics is difficult until you've become quite proficient at using language and have a readily accessible vocabulary.

When you use real life language, context fills in the gaps so that the level between the students isn't so important. In fact, stronger students can help weaker ones.

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...-speakers.html

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...-speakers.html

Thee most important thing in teaching a language is to remember that every new language learner, even those that have studied a great deal of grammar, is really just the same as a native speaking baby. In order for the baby to understand, no person, mother/father/brother/sister/aunt/uncle/cousin/friend would think of "teaching" the baby language without real context/ real things.

Get balls/colored magnets/playing cards/stationery items/scrap paper/kitchen utensils/food items/etc.

Think of the numerous verbs that can go with these items, then think of the various English structures that can go with those verbs; everything from "This is a pen" to "if I had been given that item, what would I have?"

This is invaluable for teaching phrasal verbs.

One of my favorite lessons, the students too, was,

Cutting up an apple

Pull out the stem. Pull the stem out. Pull it out. *Pull out it.*

Cut it into four pieces.

Trim off the ends.

Cut out the core.

Peel each section.

Cut/Slice each piece into {___] slices/pieces.

Take another section.

[repeat]

Scrap off the cutting board.

Scrap the scraps into the garbage can.

The same can be done with any number of things. All it requires is a bit of imagination and some real life props.

I wish i could fly over and help you with your classes.