Thread: Used To

MAHAALQAISSI Guest

Question Used To

I Cant Understand Used To-be/get Used To, So Could You Please Explain It To Me!

engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Used To

Quote Originally Posted by MAHAALQAISSI View Post
    I Cant Understand Used To-be/get Used To, So Could You Please Explain It To Me!
    used to + verb (base form)
    I used to drive to work. = In the past, I drove to work, but now I don't.
    He used to work long hours. = In the past, he worked long hours, but now he doesn't.

did not use + verb (base form)
    I didn't use to walk to work. = In the past, I didn't walk to work, but I do now.
    He didn't use to work short hours. = In the past, he didn't work short hours, but he does now.

be used to + verb-ing
    I am used to walking to work. = My walking to work isn't a new experience to me; I am familiar with it, and I know how it is to walk to work.
    He is used to working short hours. = His working short hours isn't a new experience to him; he is familiar with it, and he knows how it is to work short hours.

get used to + verb-ing
    I used to drive to work. Now, I walk to my work.
    I got used to walking to work in a very short time
    . = I soon became familiar with walking to work after I had had to quit driving to work.

He used to work long hours. Now, he works short hours.
    He got used to working short hours in a very short time.
    = He soon became familiar with working short hours after he had stopped working long hours.

majdi2pac is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Used To

Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    used to + verb (base form)
    I used to drive to work. = In the past, I drove to work, but now I don't.
    He used to work long hours. = In the past, he worked long hours, but now he doesn't.

did not use + verb (base form)
    I didn't use to walk to work. = In the past, I didn't walk to work, but I do now.
    He didn't use to work short hours. = In the past, he didn't work short hours, but he does now.

be used to + verb-ing
    I am used to walking to work. = My walking to work isn't a new experience to me; I am familiar with it, and I know how it is to walk to work.
    He is used to working short hours. = His working short hours isn't a new experience to him; he is familiar with it, and he knows how it is to work short hours.

get used to + verb-ing
    I used to drive to work. Now, I walk to my work.
    I got used to walking to work in a very short time. = I soon became familiar with walking to work after I had had to quit driving to work.

He used to work long hours. Now, he works short hours.
    He got used to working short hours in a very short time. = He soon became familiar with working short hours after he had stopped working long hours.
    Thank you!!
    It's really a good reply!!