• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

makes a loop

Would anyone explain the following expressions in bold in easy English?

1. He makes a loop in this big motor home and stops so that his prospects can sit at the kitchen table and look out the window at this beautiful view.

2. Salespeople often say that everybody buys everything on price. They say that price is the key thing, that everybody wants the lowest price, and so on.

Does this mean "the most important factor in buying anything is the price?"

Thank you.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: makes a loop

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Would anyone explain the following expressions in bold in easy English?

1. He makes a loop in this big motor home and stops so that his prospects can sit at the kitchen table and look out the window at this beautiful view.

2. Salespeople often say that everybody buys everything on price. They say that price is the key thing, that everybody wants the lowest price, and so on.

Does this mean "the most important factor in buying anything is the price?"

Thank you.
    makes a loop

It is hard to tell exactly what he is doing in that first sentence. A motor home is a large bus-like vehicle with living space inside. Prospects means people who are potential buyers and it seems that the person is selling land or vacation property.

So he has a planned route that is in a circle throughout the area that is for sale and he stops to let his clients look at the nice views.

Makes a loop in this context means he travels his planned circular route.

everybody buys everything on price

Yes, the writer is saying that many salesmen think price is the most important factor. But as a former industrial salesman myself, I don't believe this is true.

If it were true then the lowest price would win the contract every time.

To me there are three key factors in selling: price, quality, service

You need 2 of these to be successful in sales

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the explanation.

On the "price issue," the writer is not saying the price is the most important factor. It is salespeople that often say so. The writer says in the following sentences I didn't quote like this: "The fact is that, in almost every case, the price is not the major reason that anyone buys anything. Price is important only when what you are selling is identical to what everyone else is selling, like gasoline at the corner station........."

I'm sure you would agree on this.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Thank you for the explanation.

On the "price issue," the writer is not saying the price is the most important factor. It is salespeople that often say so. The writer says in the following sentences I didn't quote like this: "The fact is that, in almost every case, the price is not the major reason that anyone buys anything. Price is important only when what you are selling is identical to what everyone else is selling, like gasoline at the corner station........."

I'm sure you would agree on this.
    Hahaha...you do understand and so does the writer who writes about this.

I was also a sales manager and often the salesman would come to me and plead for a lower price to get the sale. But this is not the answer and makes less money for seller.

Even when buying identical things, price is not always the most important factor. Buying fruits and vegetables for example. Have you ever made a special trip to a particular farmer's market just to buy vegetables that you could buy anywhere, at any store, at perhaps a few cents cheaper per pound?

You go there because:

1. The quality of the fruit is always the best.
    2. The person selling the produce is always fun to talk to and goes out of his/her way to make your visit satisfying.
    3. The store or market stall is always clean, cheerful and you seem to find interesting new things every time you go there.
    4. They have this super cool restaurant restaurant in the store with great desserts and coffee.

All of these reasons why you will pay a few cents more for their produce.

When your ONLY selling point is that you have the cheapest price....you are extremely vulnerable to anyone who decides to sell the goods cheaper than you do.