Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advaned text to understand

There is a text about 'Wisbech the Capital of Fens' that i have many problems to understand this text. please if it is possible for u help me to understand it.

place a small community in an isolated position, surround it with a hostile environment, stir it in two invasions, watch and wait. certain traits will develop.
    This is the recipe which formed Wisbech.
    The earliest recorded reference to the town was made in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle of 656 and listed Wisbech as a small settlement not five miles from the coast. As such, it was battered by North Sea gales and, after heavy rains, threatened by floods which resulted when the rain drained from the surrounding countries into the low-lying fenland basin which encompassed the colony.
    In those early days Wisbech was besieged by swamps, which made travel to and from the community slow and treacherous. None but most determined made the journey. The struggle to exist in trying conditions becomes a community affair, and the basis of such a tightly knit group is the family. So, moulded by isolation and the fight against adversity, wisbech developed a community spirit, a faith in the family and an independent outlook.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advaned text to understand

This may help: Wisbech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Read it, and then come back with a more specific question.

b

Post Thanks / Like

place a small community in an isolated position, surround it with a hostile environment, stir it in two invasions, watch and wait. certain traits will develop.

I want to translate this text but i have problems with the structure and vocabulary of this text.
    For example please pay attention the underlined words.

Post Thanks / Like

the underlined part means:
    give it a hard surrounding, make it unpeaceful by being invaded twice, and let's watch and waite for the result

Post Thanks / Like

thanks so much for this reply

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedy View Post

I want to translate this text but i have problems with the structure and vocabulary of this text.
    For example please pay attention the underlined words.
    You cannot translate this literally. The author is trying to be funny.

He is comparing the forming of this community (Wisbech) to something like baking a cake.

If you were baking a cake you might say

To a large bowl add a package of cake mix
    Add three eggs and a cup of water
    Beat the mixture until it is smooth
    Pour the resulting batter into a cake tin
    Place it in an oven and bake at 175c for one hour

This would probably make a terrible cake but you get the idea.

Well this author's recipe for the creation of Wisbech is

place a small community in an isolated position (the community is very remote from the rest of civilization)
    surround it with a hostile environment (the land around this community is perhaps not easy to farm, the weather might be harsh, perhaps it was surrounded by enemies)
    stir it in two invasions (the community has had a history of violent occupation)
    watch and wait. certain traits will develop. (the character of this community is the result of all these factors)

If you are translating this you cannot translate it literally unless you are able to communicate somehow that this is a funny metaphor.

I hope this helps.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

The idea of a recipe makes me suspect a typo. Many recipes include the expression 'stir in ...' with the meaning 'add, and stir [in order to make the mixture smooth/heterogeneous]'. For example 'stir in three teaspoonfuls of sugar' means 'add the sugar and stir the mixture until the sugar is evenly distributed'.

In fact, when I first read your text I automatically omitted the "it" to make it read "stir in two invasions". Is that possible?

b

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for nice help. If it is possible for u plz help me to solve these other underlined parts.

The earliest recorded reference to the town was made in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle of 656 and listed Wisbech as a small settlement not five miles from the coast. As such, it was battered by North Sea gales and, after heavy rains, threatened by floods which resulted when the rain drained from the surrounding countries into the low-lying fenland basin which encompassed the colony.
    In those early days Wisbech was besieged by swamps, which made travel to and from the community slow and treacherous. None but most determined made the journey. The struggle to exist in trying conditions becomes a community affair, and the basis of such a tightly knit group is the family. So, moulded by isolation and the fight against adversity, wisbech developed a community spirit, a faith in the family and an independent outlook.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedy View Post
    Thanks for nice help. If it is possible for u plz help me to solve these other underlined parts.

This means that because of the difficulty and dangers of living in Wisbech, the people who lived there had a strong bond and worked together to solve their problems.

Why are you reading such a difficult passage of text?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    This means that because of the difficulty and dangers of living in Wisbech, the people who lived there had a strong bond and worked together to solve their problems.

Why are you reading such a difficult passage of text?
    Thanks for ur replying. U know im studying English Translation and this text is one of my course that its name is Advanced Translation. So we have to translate these advanced texts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast