Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Native English

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Native English

I think what we're missing here is: Exactly what are we talking about? Teachers? Actors? Translators?

Speaking from personal experience, I have seen some pretty awful English produced by Germans who think they know English well enough not to require a proof-reader. They may be able to reel off an impressive list of parts of speech, but only a few produce clear and idiomatic English.

That said, I would definitely recommend that any native English speaker hoping to teach ESL learn another language.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Hear, hear - and the more complex the better!

Post Thanks / Like

language is an evolving art, not a science. what u call politically correct today is incorrect tomorrow...

so the more practice and exposure u have to a language, the better u can use it.

perhaps native speakers have had more practice?

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing like the real natural-born English speaking thing excelling at his/her native tongue.I have in mind Graham Greene.For us who were not born to the language it is difficult to trust our own kind who have the knack at English (I have in mind Vladimir Nabokov) because... well,it just doesn't feel right,something's amiss,from the perspective of style,not the story.

stuartnz is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post

That said, I would definitely recommend that any native English speaker hoping to teach ESL learn another language.

I agree 100%. Learning any other language helps one understand one's own, which is a prerequisite to being able to teach it. I don't agree with the notion that some languages are more complex than others (this myth is one of many addressed in the highly worthwhile Language Myths), but certainly the more different a language's structure and grammar is from one's one, the more challenging it will be, and therefore potentially more rewarding as both an intellectual exercise and as preparation for teaching one's one language to others.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

You can teach well and be monolingual, but learning other languages does also make you more aware of what is involved and more aware of what learners have to go through, the rewards and frustrations.

hanky is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

It is too difficult to understand daily E speaking In almost cases I have to guess what people are saying I wish all peoples speak the same language. why not?

naomimalan is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wordwarrior View Post
    Why do some people prefer native English speaker writers than those who are formally trained in English grammar and syntax?
    If , by “writers”, you are referring to people answering questions in this forum, I would say that the most reliable answers are often given by people who are both native speakers and teachers, in other words – hopefully - “formally trained in English grammar and syntax.”

However, this is not always the case. Either (1) a native speaker who is not a teacher answers questions - often about grammar; or (2) a non-native speaker who is “formally trained in English grammar and syntax” answers the questions.*

Which is better (1) or (2)?

If we are talking about grammar, I would say that (2) is definitely better. In this forum I have frequently seen native speakers who are not teachers giving misleading explanations.

If we are talking about queries where internauts merely ask for their sentences to be corrected or re-phrased, then I would say that (1) is usually better.

*True, non-native speakers who are students, do often answer but that isn’t relevant to this discussion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2