• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Speaking English

Hello, I wrote something for learning purposes, so please help me giving some hints if you can. Of course I don't expect you to correct all the mistakes. But if you can, please, point out what is wrong or give a brief hint. I would really appreciate! Don't mind about the weakness of argumentation it is only an exercise.

Text

Some people in specific countries are not keen on learning English after they have got the basic skills, which provide them the comprehension but not the capability of good communication in an international environment. It may be a mean of resistance to an external culture. English came across as an international language and not as an invasive way of culture spread, although even the most enthusiastic English students often tend to think like that.

Thinking about the beginning of the English spread over countries, which had no connection to English before, such as colonization and direct involvement in major historical facts we can assume that the culture played this whole. It was the beginning of the 80s in Brazil, when the so-called American music (put into that British, Australian and so on) started to spread across the country. Popular radio stations started to play what was known as “dance music” and MTV appeared as well, dressed up as a local TV but broadcasting the cool rock music from The States.

It was a kind of friendly invasion, new music was welcome by the youth, it was like the opportunity of breathing new hope. They were fed up of the popular Brazilian music, which in those minds represented and were connected to the old establishment of corruption and violence that took part of the country since the dictatorship by the 60s. Even though this music used to be against all of that, largely censored and with loads of composers sent into exile by the army.

Part of the history of each country explains how the English language has became the second language in many parts of the world. As well as the need for a global language, the desire of English speakers of spreading their own language and many other factors. The acceptance of a second language tends to differ from a country to another and from its generations.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: hints

Some people in specific countries are not keen on learning English... 'specific' sounds wrong to me as you don't specify them- you could try 'certain'.
    a mean - wrong form
    English came across - why the past?
    of the English spread - reorder
    countries, which - punctuation
    direct involvement in major historical facts- not natural phrasing
    put into that British, Australian and so on- change verb
    It was a kind of friendly invasion, new music was welcome by the youth, it was like the opportunity of breathing new hope.- pubctuation + look the last phrase
    that took part of the country- change verb
    English speakers of spreading - preposition and verb form

anreak is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Some people in specific countries are not keen on learning English... 'specific' sounds wrong to me as you don't specify them- you could try 'certain'.
    a mean - wrong form
    English came across - why the past? (present perfect?)
    of the English spread - reorder (I can't figure out what is wrong)
    countries, which - punctuation
    direct involvement in major historical facts- not natural phrasing (
    put into that British, Australian and so on- change verb (inluded?)
    It was a kind of friendly invasion, new music was welcome by the youth. It was like the opportunity of breathing new hope.- pubctuation + look the last phrase (I'm not sure if it's called figured language in english, but I may avoid these kind of contructions.)
    that took part of the country- change verb ("took over the country" was my intention)
    English speakers of spreading (desire to spread)- preposition and verb form

Thank you so much.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

of the English spread - reorder- the spread of English

anreak is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I hope the text is readable for a native speaker, despite the mistakes.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Speaking English

Quote Originally Posted by anreak View Post
    Some people in specific countries are not keen on learning English after they have got the basic skills, which provide them the comprehension but not the capability of good communication in an international environment. It may be a mean of resistance to an external culture. English came across as an international language and not as an invasive way of culture spread, although even the most enthusiastic English students often tend to think like that.
    Some people in certain countries are not interested in learning English after they have learned how to communicate in English in the most basic way. It may be that they don't want to feel dominated by an external culture.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about the beginning of the English spread over countries, which had no connection to English before, such as colonization and direct involvement in major historical facts we can assume that the culture played this whole.

It was the beginning of the 80s in Brazil, when the so-called American music (put into that British, Australian and so on) started to spread across the country. Popular radio stations started to play what was known as “dance music” and MTV appeared as well, dressed up as a local TV but broadcasting the cool rock music from The States.
    It was the beginning of the 80s in Brazil, when the so-called American music (add to that British, Australian and so on) spread across the country. Popular radio stations played what was known as “dance music” and MTV appeared as well, dressed up as local TV but broadcasting the cool rock music from The States.

It was a kind of friendly invasion, new music was welcome by the youth, it was like the opportunity of breathing new hope. They were fed up of the popular Brazilian music, which in those minds represented and were connected to the old establishment of corruption and violence that took part of the country since the dictatorship by the 60s. Even though this music used to be against all of that, largely censored and with loads of composers sent into exile by the army.
    It was a kind of friendly invasion. It was new music that was welcomed by the youth of the country. They were fed up with the popular Brazilian music, which in their minds represented the old establishment of corruption and violence that took prevailed in the country since the dictatorship of the 60s.
    Part of the history of each country explains how the English language has became the second language in many parts of the world. As well as the need for a global language, the desire of English speakers of spreading their own language and many other factors. The acceptance of a second language tends to differ from a country to another and from its generations.

anreak is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a long way to become fluent and readable.

What I caught from the corrections is that I need to pay more attention in verb usage, verb form and their meanings. To say nothing of the other problems.

Thanks so much for the corrections, RonBee.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I goofed! The last sentence (revision) in my previous post should read:
    They were fed up with the popular Brazilian music, which in their minds represented the old establishment of corruption and violence that prevailed in the country since the dictatorship of the 60s.
    (There was an word in there that didn't belong.)

It's a long way to become fluent and readable.
    I have a long way to go to make my writing become fluent and readable.
    What I caught from the corrections is that I need to pay more attention in verb usage, verb forms and their meanings. To say nothing of the other problems.

Thanks so much for the corrections, RonBee.
    You're welcome. (Sometimes the best I can do is tell somebody that I don't understand what they are saying, but that is at least something.)

I've got to go. TTYL

anreak is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post

You're welcome. (Sometimes the best I can do is tell somebody that I don't understand what they are saying, but that is at least something.)
    Ok, this is really encouraging.