Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: kind regards

• Post Thanks / Like

kind regards

Now a days everyone uses "kind regards" at the end of the letter. What do they mean by that? For what type of letters or to whom can we use these words? Please enlighten me.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: kind regards

Quote Originally Posted by rajisha View Post
    Now a days everyone uses "kind regards" at the end of the letter. What do they mean by that? For what type of letters or to whom can we use these words? Please enlighten me.
    "kind regards" is a polite ending to a letter. When you give your regards it means you are thinking of them. Kind regards means you are thinking good thoughts.

This can be a nice ending for most personal letters.

Another ending could be "warm regards". The difference here is that "warm" implies more "affection" for the person.

I personally don't like ending letters with "sincerely", "sincerely yours" or "yours truly", especially with respect to business letters. Many such letters are shown to end this way but as a businessman myself I felt uncomfortable ending a business letter with a declaration of love/affection.

For business letters I usually end them using "Best regards". This means giving them your best thoughts which is more appropriate. You could also just end a business letter with "Regards"

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    "kind regards" is a polite ending to a letter. When you give your regards it means you are thinking of them. Kind regards means you are thinking good thoughts.

This can be a nice ending for most personal letters.

Another ending could be "warm regards". The difference here is that "warm" implies more "affection" for the person.

I personally don't like ending letters with "sincerely", "sincerely yours" or "yours truly", especially with respect to business letters. Many such letters are shown to end this way but as a businessman myself I felt uncomfortable ending a business letter with a declaration of love/affection.

For business letters I usually end them using "Best regards". This means giving them your best thoughts which is more appropriate. You could also just end a business letter with "Regards"
    Useful Information.

Cheers

• Post Thanks / Like

Along with my friend, I too have pondered over this very phrase for many years.

I have concluded that whist Kind Regards is the original and best, I find myself leaning
    Towards “Warm Regards” or if I’m feeling a little adventurous “Warmest Regards”.

While I appreciate bad spelling is a no go area I would like to propose that regards is re-spelt
    “Regardz” (unless of course this is already the American spelling)

I await your comments.

Pleasant Regardz..

• Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post

While I appreciate bad spelling is a no go area I would like to propose that regards is re-spelt “Regardz” (unless of course this is already the American spelling)
    Why?

• Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: kind regards

I agree that colloquial spelling is a definite 'no go', another thing that really gets to me is the recent usage of abbreviations. I often see people using 'NYT' for - Now Your Talking, and 'SBT' seems to be another shortened term for 'Sorry Bout That'. This drives me up the wall. I would like to think that this would not happen, but in their terms - 'DMML' (Dont Make Me Laugh)

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

Why?
    Many thanks for your speedy reply Anglika.

I feel by replacing that “s” with a “z” this improves the status of the word somewhat.

After all the American’s spell “apologize” using a “z” so I feel our mere “regards”
    should follow suite.

I appreciate this may seem strange to you, however with this change I am confident that a letter, be it business or personal, would have a more fitting end e.g.

Gav
    Warmest Regardz

• Post Thanks / Like

At the end of the day (and by this I mean before one retire to ones pit) Kind regards (z) is increasingly common in business usage, "kind regards" and especially "best regards" are often used as a semi-formal valediction in emails. In informal usage, they are often abbreviated to "BR" or "KR". The use of "kind regards" is most likely derived from the more formal, "kindest regards," which is itself a phrase derived from the even more formal combination of "Kindest regards, I remain," "yours" or "truly yours" or any one of a number of valedictions in common usage. My preferred option is the ever warmful "Yours aye", which is a Scottish expression meaning "yours always", the valediction commonly used by members of the armed forces. I have also found that a simple "cheerio" can suffice, or depending on the content of the letter words with the same initial letters as "Foxtrot Oscar" - However, I do like Kind Regardz...........it has a very pleasant feel to it!

Your aye,

Doctor Phaw

• Post Thanks / Like

Dr Phaw,
    I read your post with high interest. I think you make some valid yet surprising points. I particularly enjoyed your 'Yours Aye' - does this have a dual meaning as I know the Scotch's use Aye as a term of yes? So are you also saying 'yours YES' Yes or no?

Tepid regards
    Nic mcd
    - I mean tepid in no disrespectful terms, I just don't know you all that well so I don't want to stray into the 'warm/warmest' category.

• Post Thanks / Like

Dear Nic Mcd

To answer your question as accurate and honest as I can "Aye'", as in the Scottish term has 3 meanings:

1. Always, ever, continually, on all occasions.
    2. Still, all the same.
    3. Ever afterwards, henceforward. This is usually seen at the conclusion of a letter in the place of "Sincerely Yours".

Therefore "Yours Aye" is referred to as Number 3 - I hope this answers your question, if not, "SBT" As so eloquently put by yourself. My word, this is a FASCINATING topic!

Kind regardz

Dr Phaw

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast