kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajisha

Member Type
Academic
Now a days everyone uses "kind regards" at the end of the letter. What do they mean by that? For what type of letters or to whom can we use these words? Please enlighten me.

Naamplao

Member Type
Other
Now a days everyone uses "kind regards" at the end of the letter. What do they mean by that? For what type of letters or to whom can we use these words? Please enlighten me.

"kind regards" is a polite ending to a letter. When you give your regards it means you are thinking of them. Kind regards means you are thinking good thoughts.

This can be a nice ending for most personal letters.

Another ending could be "warm regards". The difference here is that "warm" implies more "affection" for the person.

I personally don't like ending letters with "sincerely", "sincerely yours" or "yours truly", especially with respect to business letters. Many such letters are shown to end this way but as a businessman myself I felt uncomfortable ending a business letter with a declaration of love/affection.

For business letters I usually end them using "Best regards". This means giving them your best thoughts which is more appropriate. You could also just end a business letter with "Regards"

arunp

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"kind regards" is a polite ending to a letter. When you give your regards it means you are thinking of them. Kind regards means you are thinking good thoughts.

This can be a nice ending for most personal letters.

Another ending could be "warm regards". The difference here is that "warm" implies more "affection" for the person.

I personally don't like ending letters with "sincerely", "sincerely yours" or "yours truly", especially with respect to business letters. Many such letters are shown to end this way but as a businessman myself I felt uncomfortable ending a business letter with a declaration of love/affection.

For business letters I usually end them using "Best regards". This means giving them your best thoughts which is more appropriate. You could also just end a business letter with "Regards"

Useful Information.

Cheers:up:

Gavin

Member Type
Other
Along with my friend, I too have pondered over this very phrase for many years.

I have concluded that whist Kind Regards is the original and best, I find myself leaning
Towards “Warm Regards” or if I’m feeling a little adventurous “Warmest Regards”.

While I appreciate bad spelling is a no go area I would like to propose that regards is re-spelt
“Regardz” (unless of course this is already the American spelling)

I await your comments.

Pleasant Regardz..

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Welcome to the forums.

While I appreciate bad spelling is a no go area I would like to propose that regards is re-spelt “Regardz” (unless of course this is already the American spelling)

Why?

Nic mcd

Member Type
Student or Learner
I agree that colloquial spelling is a definite 'no go', another thing that really gets to me is the recent usage of abbreviations. I often see people using 'NYT' for - Now Your Talking, and 'SBT' seems to be another shortened term for 'Sorry Bout That'. This drives me up the wall. I would like to think that this would not happen, but in their terms - 'DMML' (Dont Make Me Laugh)

Gavin

Member Type
Other
Welcome to the forums.

Why?
Many thanks for your speedy reply Anglika.

I feel by replacing that “s” with a “z” this improves the status of the word somewhat.

After all the American’s spell “apologize” using a “z” so I feel our mere “regards”
should follow suite.

I appreciate this may seem strange to you, however with this change I am confident that a letter, be it business or personal, would have a more fitting end e.g.

Gav
Warmest Regardz

Dr K Phaw

Member Type
Student or Learner
At the end of the day (and by this I mean before one retire to ones pit) Kind regards (z) is increasingly common in business usage, "kind regards" and especially "best regards" are often used as a semi-formal valediction in emails. In informal usage, they are often abbreviated to "BR" or "KR". The use of "kind regards" is most likely derived from the more formal, "kindest regards," which is itself a phrase derived from the even more formal combination of "Kindest regards, I remain," "yours" or "truly yours" or any one of a number of valedictions in common usage. My preferred option is the ever warmful "Yours aye", which is a Scottish expression meaning "yours always", the valediction commonly used by members of the armed forces. I have also found that a simple "cheerio" can suffice, or depending on the content of the letter words with the same initial letters as "Foxtrot Oscar" - However, I do like Kind Regardz...........it has a very pleasant feel to it!

Your aye,

Doctor Phaw

Nic mcd

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dr Phaw,
I read your post with high interest. I think you make some valid yet surprising points. I particularly enjoyed your 'Yours Aye' - does this have a dual meaning as I know the Scotch's use Aye as a term of yes? So are you also saying 'yours YES' Yes or no?

Tepid regards
Nic mcd
- I mean tepid in no disrespectful terms, I just don't know you all that well so I don't want to stray into the 'warm/warmest' category.

Dr K Phaw

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear Nic Mcd

To answer your question as accurate and honest as I can "Aye'", as in the Scottish term has 3 meanings:

1. Always, ever, continually, on all occasions.
2. Still, all the same.
3. Ever afterwards, henceforward. This is usually seen at the conclusion of a letter in the place of "Sincerely Yours".

Therefore "Yours Aye" is referred to as Number 3 - I hope this answers your question, if not, "SBT" As so eloquently put by yourself. My word, this is a FASCINATING topic!

Kind regardz

Dr Phaw

Dr K Phaw

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear Nic Mcd

To answer your question as accurate and honest as I can "Aye'", as in the Scottish term has 3 meanings:

1. Always, ever, continually, on all occasions.
2. Still, all the same.
3. Ever afterwards, henceforward. This is usually seen at the conclusion of a letter in the place of "Sincerely Yours".

Therefore "Yours Aye" is referred to as Number 3 - I hope this answers your question, if not, "SBT" As so eloquently put by yourself. My word, this is a FASCINATING topic!

Kind regardz

Dr Phaw

Please accept my sincere apologies - I intended to type:

To answer your question as accurate and honest as I can "Yours Aye'", as in the Scottish term has 3 meanings:

I am having a most awful day in the Surgery!

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Nic mcd:

Loved it! :up::up:

Gavin:
I feel by replacing that “s” with a “z” this improves the status of the word somewhat.

So - it's Liza with a 'z' and not with an 's' because Judy was status-conscious? These pretentious Americans!!

Last edited:

Dr K Phaw

Member Type
Student or Learner
I know of one music organisation that names its events as "ReZerection" as opposed to "Resurrection". A very good marketing ploy! FASCINATING!

Dr Phaw

Gavin

Member Type
Other
Hi all,

Some very interesting thoughts, comments and facts here, one must confess a sense of encouragement that other people feel as passionate and enthusiastic about this as I do.

Therefore, unless I encounter any serious (or legal) objection I officially propose the amendment as previously noted i.e. Regards to “Regardz

David L - I welcome your comments, many thanks. I only request that “regards” is amended here, therefore Lisa would remain as Lisa.

From my internal investigation, it is evident that people will be more than content to utilize “Warm Regardz” in their communications. Indeed, my test run over 1 business week displayed no evidence of protest by the addressee, with one claiming that he was pleasantly surprised that such a bold move had been made to improve on a somewhat boring old fashioned phrase that was clearly overused in dialogue.

With the warmest regardz,

Gavin.

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Is there an icon to acknowledge when one considers the meaning of a post has apparently gone right over someone's head?
Oh, well.

Gavin: Tell Liza Minnelli that.

Gavin

Member Type
Other
Is there an icon to acknowledge when one considers the meaning of a post has apparently gone right over someone's head?
Oh, well.

Gavin: Tell Liza Minnelli that.

Hi David,

I'm afraid not, although you could propose the creation of a new icon to reflect just that?

I am sorry that you do not share the passion as I do in this, however I would ask that you respect my request for the amendment I have proposed.

Unfortunately I do not know Liza Minnelli, my apologies in that regard.

With regardz

Gavin

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Gavin: I'm not that far down the road from you, in Scotland.
I suggest you wet your whistle with a little Scotch - your wit is tooooooo dry for me.
(That is, if you were intending to be arch! Otherwise.......)
There is a no-man's land between enthusiastic passion, and a grim crusade.

Dr K Phaw

Member Type
Student or Learner
David,

I know nothing of whether Judy was status-conscious, but I know of many occasions where she was unconscious, normally with an empty amphetamine container - or Sulph as some people would refer to it!

Gavin,

A very interesting proposal, and not one that I am adverse to. Infact I will test your theory for the next 7 days. Every person I communicate with shall have my Kind Regardz passed to them. And I would like to show my support to you by using these words:

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965).....Genious!

Dr Phaw

Gavin

Member Type
Other
David: Many thanks for your speedy and prompt response. I am glad that you share the same road as I, one wonders how we all got about in the days of horse & cart eh.

However, unfortunately I do not possess a “whistle” and kindly advise that I do not consume Scotch. Far be it for me it to enlighten your knowledge with my favourite tipple, but rest assured I have certainly no intention to be “arch” so I shall take you up on your teasing alternative offer of “otherwise……”

Dr Phaw – Many thanks for your support in my proposed amendment. I look forward to hearing from you shortly detaling your findings. I wish you all the best.

My Warmest regardz to both David & Dr Phaw.

Gavin.

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Boy..........!!! Yikes!

boys - I bow out. I leave you to it. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.