pan_wen_happy is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default is it necessary to get rid of foreign accent,or go abroad?

dear teacher:
    I have a question that should I spend much time on pronunciation,and get rid of my native foreign accent?
    Many people say learning English well must go abroad, is it right? I have no ideas about the two questions,please give me some suggestion.
    Thank you very much!
    sincerely
    panwen

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: is it necessary to get rid of foreign accent,or go abroad?

Quote Originally Posted by pan_wen_happy View Post
    dear teacher:
    I have a question that should I spend much time on pronunciation,and get rid of my native foreign accent?
    Many people say learning English well must go abroad, is it right? I have no ideas about the two questions,please give me some suggestion.
    Thank you very much!
    sincerely
    panwen
    The object of learning a foreign language is to be able to communicate in that language.

There are some basic pronunciation that you must learn to be understandable but don't worry too much about removing all traces of your accent. Afterall, the accent of an English speaker from England is different from that of the USA or Australia or Canada or South Africa. We all have slightly different accents but we can communicate with each other.

From a personal point of view, I find several foreign accents to be quite pleasant to listen to when they speak English.

Your object should be to speak clearly with the correct stress on the syllables of a word and the correct stress on the words of a sentence.

Whether you have a perfect British/American or other accent is not important.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no doubt that you will learn a language better if you are able to live and work in the country where it is natively spoken. It is not essential - particularly if you are prepared to work hard and practice constantly.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pan_wen_happy View Post
    The most important thing is to speak clearly enough to be understood. Getting rid of an accent is a very difficult task, but you can work on the difficult areas that cause you problems. There is no need to be perfect; if I can understand you, you are speaking well.