Thread: Gap year

Ali1984 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gap year

Hello,

I am a Business School student in France. It is typical to take a year off between the first and second year of the master and I would like to express it in my cover letter in a non negative way.

Here's my attemp of translation, can you please tell me what you think about it:

Dear Sir,

As you can see from my CV attached, I hold a BA (Hons) from the University of Lincoln in Business Administration and I am currently pursuing a masters degree at Euromed School of Management, Marseille, France.
    Within the framework of my studies, I had the opportunity to insert a professional experience year between my first year and second year of master, during which I worked as a trainee in a company, gaining professional experience while I refined my career plans.

Currently a Marketing and Sales Assistant at X, a subsidiary company of X, based in Paris, I am looking for an internship in Spain from January to July 2008.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Ali

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gap year

Quote Originally Posted by Ali1984 View Post
    Hello,

I am a Business School student in France. It is typical to take a year off between the first and second year of the master and I would like to express it in my cover letter in a non negative way.

Here's my attemp of translation, can you please tell me what you think about it:

Dear Sir,

As you can see from my CV attached, I hold a BA (Hons) from the University of Lincoln in Business Administration and I am currently pursuing a masters degree at Euromed School of Management, Marseille, France.
    Within the framework of my studies, I had the opportunity to insert a professional experience year between my first year and second year of master, during which I worked as a trainee in a company, gaining professional experience while I refined my career plans.

Currently a Marketing and Sales Assistant at X, a subsidiary company of X, based in Paris, I am looking for an internship in Spain from January to July 2008.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Ali
    I am not going to answer your post the way you want. You are applying for a job so I will give you some advice about the cover letter content.

All of the important information of your experience and education should be presented in a clear, easy to read, businesslike manner in your CV.

You should not summarize the information in your covering letter. The CV is a formal business document, not written in the first person.

However it is the purpose of the covering letter to show your enthusiasm for potentially working for this company. You use the first person here to describe how you feel your qualifications fit the requirements of the job. You express eagerness to meet with the company to discuss the opportunities for employment with that company.

You are not obligated to mention this gap in your covering letter. Personally I have had several gaps in my work history. They are not disguised in my CV (they don't have an emphasis either). Be prepared to discuss these gaps if you are called in for an interview. This is where they will be discussed.

The object of the covering letter/CV is not to get the job!!!

The object of the covering letter/CV is to get the interview!!!

They are advertising your qualifications to potential employers so that they will want to meet you and discuss having you work for their company.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gap year

Welcome to the forums, Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Ali1984 View Post
    Hello,

Here's my attempt of translation, can you please tell me what you think about it:

Dear Sir,

As you can see from my attached CV , I hold a BA (Hons) from the University of Lincoln in Business Administration and I am currently pursuing a Master's degree at the Euromed School of Management, Marseille, France.

Within the framework of my studies, I had the opportunity to insert a professional experience year between my first year and second year I took a work placement for a year between the first and second years of the course, during which I worked as a trainee in a company, gaining professional experience while I refined my career plans.

Currently I am a Marketing and Sales Assistant at X, a subsidiary company of X, based in Paris. I am looking for an internship in Spain from January to July 2008.

I hope that my application is of interest.

Yours faithfully,

Ali
    As a cover letter for an application to a company for work, it is skimpy. It fails to say what you are interested in doing in the company, or whether there is a specific reason for applying to this company. It also does not tell the recipient what benefit the company might receive from employing you.

It is not clear if this is a real application , or an exercise in translation. It would help to be sure what you are in fact looking for - advice on a real letter or proofreading an English translation.