Thread: "Kitty-corner"

sara88 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Kitty-corner"

Hi dear teachers and members,
    When someone tells you that " the drugstore is kitty-corner from the bank", what can you understand from that??
    I checked many dictionaries but it doesn't make sense for me..
    I would greatly appreciate your help.
    Thank you a lot.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: " Kitty-corner"

"catty-corner" deriving from "catercorner", meaning at a diagonal. Also spelled "catacorner".

"Kitty-corner" seems to be someone using a phrase that they think they have heard, but have remembered incorrectly. They sort of remember "catty" and have transformed it into "kitty"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    "catty-corner" deriving from "catercorner", meaning at a diagonal. Also spelled "catacorner".

"Kitty-corner" seems to be someone using a phrase that they think they have heard, but have remembered incorrectly. They sort of remember "catty" and have transformed it into "kitty"
    Perhaps that is the history of it, Anglika, but "kitty-corner" is alive and well here in Canada, with the meaning of diagonal opposing corners!
    F

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure I suggested that it was anything but alive and kicking, but maybe under a misapprehension.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiona bramble View Post
    Perhaps that is the history of it, Anglika, but "kitty-corner" is alive and well here in Canada, with the meaning of diagonal opposing corners!
    F
    I will confirm that this is very common in Canada with the meaning that you give it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure I suggested that it was anything but alive and kicking, but maybe under a misapprehension.
    Oh, gotchya. I thought you meant that sara88 has misheard it You are probably on the money about a past misapprehension...uh, what is that anyway?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiona bramble View Post
    Oh, gotchya. I thought you meant that sara88 has misheard it You are probably on the money about a past misapprehension...uh, what is that anyway?
    My poor typing at night - I meant to type "I was under a misapprehension". It's not important..

Anyhow, this question shows how language changes and develops, and how beautifully flexible English can be

sara88 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: " Kitty-corner"

My poor typing at night - I meant to type "I was under a misapprehension". It's not important..

Anyhow, this question shows how language changes and develops, and how beautifully flexible English can be
    Thank you very much for all of you for your responses. I think I got it now..
    But I asked before a native speaker about the meaning of Kitty-corner, and he tolled me that it's a generous expression, but I really wondred what do you mean (native speakers) when you say that?
    Thank you in advance.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sara88 View Post
    But I asked before a native speaker about the meaning of Kitty-corner, and he tolled me that it's a generous expression, but I really wondred what do you mean (native speakers) when you say that?
    Thank you in advance.
    That means nothing in this context. My guess is the native speaker did not know what "Kitty-corner" meant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sara88 View Post
    But I asked before a native speaker about the meaning of Kitty-corner, and he told me that it's a generous expression, but I really wondered what do you mean (native speakers) when you say that?
    Thank you in advance.

Perhaps he said "a general expression", meaning commonly used?