Post Thanks / Like

Default When to use which one?

Hi,

Iam always confused with the following two kind of patterns.

1)SUBJECT +IS/ARE +PAST PARTICIPLE

2)SUBJECT +HAS BEEN/HAVE BEEN +PAST PARTICIPLE

I will go with an example.

Suppose like I have kept the coffee on the table, and if some body asks me," where is the coffee?" Then which one of the following two statements are correct.

1)Coffee is kept on the table

2)Cofee has been kept on the table.

Both the statements indicate that action is done and now the cofee is on the table.I see people always using the 1st sentence only.Is the 2nd sentence can not be used in this context?

finta is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: When to use which one?

hello ssthrn!

Why are you using the verb 'keep' here? Unless you are indicating that the table is the normal storage place for the coffee, it is incorrect.

The coffee is on the table. This merely indicates the geographical location of the coffee at the time of speaking/writing.

The coffee has been on the table...requires a time factor which started in the past but is still in the present. You would need to add something like...since 8.00 a.m./all morning for this to make sense as an uncontextualised statement.

Hope this helps!

finta

Post Thanks / Like

I understand your point.But this didn't answer my question.Iam more interested in knowing the usage difference of the two patterns i mentioned.
    Please answere from that point of view.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Finta seems to have answered your question about usage. What other usage do you want?

With reference to your original question as to why can't #2 be used in answer to "Where is the coffee?", the answer is as Finta indicates. The question is in the present and needs an answer in the present.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I found it, Anglika.

Quote Originally Posted by ssthrn View Post
    Hi,

Iam always confused with the following two kind of patterns.

1)SUBJECT +IS/ARE +PAST PARTICIPLE

2)SUBJECT +HAS BEEN/HAVE BEEN +PAST PARTICIPLE

I will go with an example.

Suppose like I have kept the coffee on the table, and if some body asks me," where is the coffee?" Then which one of the following two statements are correct.

1)Coffee is kept on the table

2)Coffee has been kept on the table.

Both the statements indicate that action is done and now the coffee is on the table.I see people always using the 1st sentence only. [Is] Can't the 2nd sentence [can not] be used in this context?
    Ss,

Assuming that I accurately understand the context you're describing, Ss, then if those people you see "always using the 1st sentence only", you might be witnessing first language/mother tongue interference. Unless the coffee is kept/stored on the table routinely/habitually/always/the normal storage place, then using the present simple to describe that is unnatural.

Try to create a scenario using a sample dialogue. That may help us to really see what the context is and what language structures should be used.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the sample dialogue.This dailogue is between mother and son.

Son:Mom,I want some cofee.

Mother prepares cofee and puts it on the table located near to the son.But the son does not see that she kept the cofee there.Without knowing that she already kept the cofee on the table he again asks like below

SON: Mom,i asked for cofee and you didn't give me so far.

Mother: cofee is kept on the table near by you.

can mother say like "cofee has been kept on the table near by you".?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssthrn View Post
    Here is the sample dialogue.This dailogue is between mother and son.

Son:Mom,I want some cofee.

Mother prepares cofee and puts it on the table located near to the son.But the son does not see that she kept the cofee there.Without knowing that she already kept the cofee on the table he again asks like below

SON: Mom,i asked for cofee and you didn't give me so far.

Mother: cofee is kept on the table near by you.

can mother say like "cofee has been kept on the table near by you".?

Umm.

She has put/placed the coffee on the table.

To keep something somewhere means that it is housed somewhere. In your dialogue the mother has placed the coffee she has made on the table.

It is more likely that she would say "It is on the table beside you" or "I put it on the table for you".