Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Nefertiti's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 383
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Thumbs up a full time home caretaker?

    Hi there.

    Is it correct to call someone a full time home caretaker, at least in the States, if they are spending most of the time taking care of a patient at the patient's home?

    Any better suggestions?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 37,454
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: a full time home caretaker?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Hi there.

    Is it correct to call someone a full time home caretaker, at least in the States, if they are spending most of the time taking care of a patient at the patient's home?

    Any better suggestions?

    Thanks in advance.
    Hi, nefertiti!

    A better suggestion might be a full-time caregiver instead of a full time caretaker. (Don't forget to place a hyphen between full and time.)

    Cheers,
    Amigos4


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,155
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: a full time home caretaker?

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, nefertiti!

    A better suggestion might be a full-time caregiver instead of a full time caretaker. (Don't forget to place a hyphen between full and time.)

    Cheers,
    Amigos4
    I agree. A caretaker is usually someone who looks after the building, not someone who gives care to a person in the building.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 46,618
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: a full time home caretaker?

    In the UK, we also use the term 'carer'; do you have it in the USA?

  3. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 37,454
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: a full time home caretaker?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    In the UK, we also use the term 'carer'; do you have it in the USA?
    Hi, Tdol!

    No, I have never heard 'carer' used to describe a caregiver. The proper name for full-time caregivers should be 'saint'!

    Cheers,
    Amigos4

Similar Threads

  1. How do you teach TIME ?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-May-2007, 15:35
  2. Revisiting Present Perfect
    By jwschang in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-Feb-2006, 12:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •