• Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Default five questions

Q1:
    "No unauthorized photocopying" means we can photocopy or we can't?

Q2:
    What does "retrieval system" mean in "No part of this publication can be stored in a retrieval system"?

Q3:
    I need some explanation about the sentences below. I can't understand the meaning of "circulated","binding","cover other than that it is published" and "imposed on".

"This book is sold subject to the condition that it shall not,by way of trade or otherwise,be lent,resold,hired out or otherwise circulated whithout the publisher's prior consent in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published and without a similar condition including this condition being imposed on the subsequent purchaser."

Q4:
    What does "art buyer" mean ?

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: five questions

Quote Originally Posted by ehsanshekari View Post
    Q1:
    "No unauthorized photocopying" means we can photocopy or we can't?

Q2:
    What does "retrieval system" mean in "No part of this publication can be stored in a retrieval system"?

Q3:
    I need some explanation about the sentences below. I can't understand the meaning of "circulated","binding","cover other than that it is published" and "imposed on".

"This book is sold subject to the condition that it shall not,by way of trade or otherwise,be lent,resold,hired out or otherwise circulated whithout the publisher's prior consent in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published and without a similar condition including this condition being imposed on the subsequent purchaser."

Q4:
    What does "art buyer" mean ?
    Hi, ehsanshekari!

"No unauthorized photocopying" means you need to get permission from the author, publisher, photographer, or any person who produced the original work BEFORE you photocopy the material. Unauthorized photocopying may be a violation of law in most countries.

"No part of this publication can be stored in a retrieval system" means a person may not place the item on anything that can 'save' the material for later use. General retrieval systems include audio and video tapes, computer files, CDs, DVDs, and other items of this nature.

'circulated whithout the publisher's prior consent in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published' means the material must remain in its original packaging. For example, the pages in a book must remain in their original format. The purchaser may not cut the pages out of the book and create a new cover or binding for them.

What does "art buyer" mean? An art buyer is a person who purchases paintings or other decorative works of art.

If you have additional questions, please post them and I will be happy to answer them for you.

Cheers,
    Amigos4

ehsanshekari is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot.
    You are an expert in answering questions.I understood all you said.

Do "binding" and "cover" have the same meaning ?

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ehsanshekari View Post
    Thanks a lot.
    You are an expert in answering questions.I understood all you said.

Do "binding" and "cover" have the same meaning ?
    Hi, ehsanshekari!

Thank you for the kind words. I am happy that I was able to answer your questions.

As for 'binding' and 'cover', they are two different items. The 'binding' of the book (or a collection of any printed material) is, simply stated, the backbone of the book. It refers to the method that is used to connect or secure the pages together... to keep them from falling out of the book as you go from page to page while reading.

The 'cover' of the book is usually the hard piece of cardboard that covers the top of the book or printed material. The 'binding' connects the cover to the book or printed material.

When you look at a book, you will see three rectangles that surround the pages. The smallest rectangle is the 'binding'... the other two rectangles represent the 'cover'.

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, ehsanshekari!

Thank you for the kind words. I am happy that I was able to answer your questions.

As for 'binding' and 'cover', they are two different items. The 'binding' of the book (or a collection of any printed material) is, simply stated, the backbone of the book. It refers to the method that is used to connect or secure the pages together... to keep them from falling out of the book as you go from page to page while reading.

The 'cover' of the book is usually the hard piece of cardboard that covers the top of the book or printed material. The 'binding' connects the cover to the book or printed material.

When you look at a book, you will see three rectangles that surround the pages. The smallest rectangle is the 'binding'... the other two rectangles represent the 'cover'.

Cheers,
    Amigos4
    In publishing terms they are both referring to the outside casing of the text. The binding may be hardcover [Front and back of the book have rigid boards, the spine is unattached to the body of the book, and usually there is a separate paper jacket] or softcover/paperback [the covering is made of cardboard, usually printed on the outside, the spine of which is attached to the body of the book].