Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile conduct and perform?

Could you please explain me how we can use these words? Can it be used exchangably?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you :)

Thank you in advance.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: conduct and perform?

In what context? Musical or business or some other context?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Anglika, Thanks for your post

Forexample;

we are performing the internal process in order to find out the solution or
    we are conducting the internal process in order to find out the solution.

Can 'thing' do the action with perform and/or conduct?

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Off the topic a wee bit, but Pikipiki, I was wondering if you know what your name, different spelling, [picky picky] same sound [I suspect] means in English.

It denotes someone who is really, overly picky/choosey about what they eat, what they like, what they're willing to do for fun, etc.

It was interesting that there was no entry for 'picky picky' in any dictionary going thru onelook.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Riverkid,

Actually my name "pikipiki" is not referred to any English word and it has no any meaning inThai too . It seems to be a Thai accent that is quite similar to 'pigypigy' that is orginally from 'pig' in English.

One information I got from my friend who live in Canada is that...
    "If a person complains too much about insignificant details in some work
    or a recipe for instance, we say " Picky picky picky!"

That's all I know about it

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pikipiki View Post
    Hi Anglika, Thanks for your post

Forexample;

we are performing the internal process in order to find out the solution or
    we are conducting the internal process in order to find out the solution.

Can 'thing' do the action with perform and/or conduct?
    Sawasdee Khrap

To answer Riverkid...in the Thai language, a "k" is pronounced like a "g" unless it is followed by an "h"...then it is pronounced as a hard "k" sound. Thai is not an easy language to learn

To answer pikipiki's question

When you are performing something you are doing the action.
    When you are conducting something you are leading the action.

in this case I think both choices are valid....depending on what you wish the sentence to mean.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Pikpiki

Re 'conduct' and 'perform', Sawasdee is right in saying that perform means little more than 'doing something' and that the something is specified by the object of the verb 'perform'. Thus, a) The police are conducting a search' is more or less the same as b) 'The police are searching', except that a) is a complete statement and we usually expect something to folow b) Searching for what?

'Conduct' is a little more complex. It may mean 'leading' as Sawasdee says, but it also has the idea of completing a formal exercise or operation. So we could say 'The police are conducting a search' but a better example would be 'conducting an investigation', because a police investigation implies carrying out (i.e. completing) a complete set of procedures. .

What I really wanted to comment on, however, is 'in order to find out' a solution. (I prefer the indefinite article here but it all depnds on what you mean.).

We use 'find out' with why, how, when, whether, if etc but not with a simple object noun. 'Find a solution' is correct here.

Fred O'Hanlon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    Sawasdee Khrap

To answer Riverkid...in the Thai language, a "k" is pronounced like a "g" unless it is followed by an "h"...then it is pronounced as a hard "k" sound. Thai is not an easy language to learn

To answer pikipiki's question

When you are performing something you are doing the action.
    When you are conducting something you are leading the action.

in this case I think both choices are valid....depending on what you wish the sentence to mean.

Sawaddee kha

Thank you for the answer and also for the additional explanation of Thai. The way you explained about Thai is much clearer than mine even I am a native Thai speaker ^-^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fred O'Hanlon View Post
    Hi Pikpiki

Re 'conduct' and 'perform', Sawasdee is right in saying that perform means little more than 'doing something' and that the something is specified by the object of the verb 'perform'. Thus, a) The police are conducting a search' is more or less the same as b) 'The police are searching', except that a) is a complete statement and we usually expect something to folow b) Searching for what?

'Conduct' is a little more complex. It may mean 'leading' as Sawasdee says, but it also has the idea of completing a formal exercise or operation. So we could say 'The police are conducting a search' but a better example would be 'conducting an investigation', because a police investigation implies carrying out (i.e. completing) a complete set of procedures. .

What I really wanted to comment on, however, is 'in order to find out' a solution. (I prefer the indefinite article here but it all depnds on what you mean.).

We use 'find out' with why, how, when, whether, if etc but not with a simple object noun. 'Find a solution' is correct here.

Fred O'Hanlon
    Thank you, Fre O'Hanlon
    You helped me much not only how to use 'conduct and perform' but also 'find a solution'. I will remember and use it in a proper ways.

Please let me ask you another question.

for example;

'This new equipment performs well'

can I use 'conduct' in this sentence? I have seen many times that conduct is used in term of passive voice but I have not totally understood why and how it is used.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pikipiki View Post
    Sawaddee kha

Thank you for the answer and also for the additional explanation of Thai. The way you explained about Thai is much clearer than mine even I am a native Thai speaker ^-^
    Khwap khun khrap

It is very difficult to learn Thai because to learn it properly one should learn Thai writing and the Thai alphabet. But that is so different from roman script. Unfortunately the attempt at using roman script is difficult because there is no standardized way of using it.

The greeting sawasdee for example...you wrote it sawaddee and I have seen it written sawat-dii. It is spelled phonetically and everyone seems to have a different phonetic spelling. This makes learning the language very difficult...but fun

As far as your question

'This new equipment performs well'

This is correct...in other words the machine is doing its job properly. You cannot use "conducts" here since a machine cannot lead or show someone how to do something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast