• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile campaign/activity

Intead of drinking beverages with sugar and caffeine, the Child Welfare League Foundation says that kids should put down the soda cans and pick up water bottles. To make this happen, they have started a campaign to encourage children to drink more plain water.

Is it equal to write To put this into practice/To carry this out/To realize this instead of To make this happen?

Is campaign interchangeable and synonymous with activity in the above context? Thanks.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: campaign/activity

Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Intead of drinking beverages with sugar and caffeine, the Child Welfare League Foundation says that kids should put down the soda cans and pick up water bottles. To make this happen, they have started a campaign to encourage children to drink more plain water.

Is it equal to write To put this into practice/To carry this out/To realize this instead of To make this happen?

Is campaign interchangeable and synonymous with activity in the above context? Thanks.
    No, none of your suggestions really fit. They are not grammatically wrong but Just don't sound right to me. There is no real stated plan in the preceding sentence, I think that is the difference. You could use your othr choices but the original one is the best one in my opinion.

Campaign is a much stronger word than activity. Campaign implies a strong organized effort to do something. Activity gives no feeling of strength of resolve.

angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: campaign/activity

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    No, none of your suggestions really fit. They are not grammatically wrong but Just don't sound right to me. There is no real stated plan in the preceding sentence, I think that is the difference. You could use your othr choices but the original one is the best one in my opinion.

Campaign is a much stronger word than activity. Campaign implies a strong organized effort to do something. Activity gives no feeling of strength of resolve.
    Thanks, Naamplao, for your explanation.

But could you give a few paraphrases of "To make this happen" in order that I might pinpoint its meaning.

As a minor aside, I notice you write "strength of resolve," which is interesting to me because I've always been confused by the difference between resolve and resolution. How should I tell them apart?

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: campaign/activity

Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Naamplao, for your explanation.

But could you give a few paraphrases of "To make this happen" in order that I might pinpoint its meaning.

As a minor aside, I notice you write "strength of resolve," which is interesting to me because I've always been confused by the difference between resolve and resolution. How should I tell them apart?
    Hmmmm....To make this happen could be replaced by to accomplish or to bring about.

To accomplish this, they have started a campaign to encourage children to drink more plain water.

To bring this about, they have started a campaign to encourage children to drink more plain water.

Resolve as a noun means a firm mental decision or intention.

Resolution means several things but the closest one to resolve would be, the the solving of a problem or also things resolved on, intention.