Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: AE:buck up

  1. Anonymous
    Guest
    #1

    AE:buck up

    I heard AE use "buck up U.S. A" cheering for the athelets.

    Doese it same as "GO U.SA".

  2. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: AE:buck up

    Quote Originally Posted by zli79
    I heard AE use "buck up U.S. A" cheering for the athelets.

    Doese it same as "GO U.SA".
    It come from the phrase buckle up (i.e. you pants, boots, etc), and it means, do better! :D

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    In BE we have the verb-'you'd better buck your ideas up', but we wouldn't use it to encourage teams. Mind you, English fans prefer insulting the opponents with our witty songs like 'You're gonna need a bodybag'.

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    In BE we have the verb-'you'd better buck your ideas up', but we wouldn't use it to encourage teams. Mind you, English fans prefer insulting the opponents with our witty songs like 'You're gonna need a bodybag'.
    Witty songs, eh?

    :wink:

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    Our football fans have some charming ditties, mostly questioning one's parentage or explaining the violent end we are likely to meet in the next twenty seconds.

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,129
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: AE:buck up

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by zli79
    I heard AE use "buck up U.S. A" cheering for the athelets.

    Doese it same as "GO U.SA".
    It come from the phrase buckle up (i.e. you pants, boots, etc), and it means, do better! :D
    That's an interesting idea, but I'm skeptical about that etymology. I think it probably evolved from the summoning of courage that an animal showed in resisting domination or accepting a rider.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •