Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post haven't done and never do

Teachers, good morning from here

This is my second post for the new thread, I need you help to clarify these sentences for me.

Do these sentence have the same meaning and correct in grammar?
    1. I haven't done it before
    2. I never do it before

Thank you in advance!

2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: haven't done and never do

Quote Originally Posted by pikipiki View Post
    Teachers, good morning from here

This is my second post for the new thread, I need you help to clarify these sentences for me.

Do these sentence have the same meaning and correct in grammar?
    1. I haven't done it before
    2. I never do it before

Thank you in advance!
    Remember to put a period at the end of a sentence.

#1 is correct.
    #2 should be 'I never did it before.', and will then mean the same as #1.

The presence of "before" suggests that you will do it, are considering doing it, or have been asked to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    Remember to put a period at the end of a sentence.

#1 is correct.
    #2 should be 'I never did it before.', and will then mean the same as #1.

The presence of "before" suggests that you will do it, are considering doing it, or have been asked to do it.
    Thank you, 2006

Please let's me ask a little bit more.

Can I also use 'I have never done it before as the same meaning with thoes two sentences above?

If I don't imply to do it or consider doing it but just want to give the information that I never did it before. What sentence should I use?

finta is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello pikipiki!

In UK English

'I've never done it before.'

In this sentence the present perfect tense + 'before' means you have never done it before now. The sentence, out of context, does not mean that you are going to do it now, or that you are not going to do it either. It is simply a statement of fact.

'I never did it before.'

This sentence sounds odd to me. 'Before' what? The past simple tense does not relate to the present, and needs a time reference.

And the past perfect tense would seem more natural, and grammatically correct to me, e.g.

'I'd never done it (scuba dived) before I went to Australia.

finta
    Last edited by finta; 23-Oct-2007 at 11:39. Reason: typo!

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pikipiki View Post
    Thank you, 2006

Can I also use 'I have never done it before as the same meaning with thoes two sentences above?

If I don't imply to do it or consider doing it but just want to give the information that I never did it before. What sentence should I use?
    I agree with Finita that 'I never did it before.' is incorrect. However you will hear this sentence said in conversation.

So....You want to say that you have not done it in the past and no intention of doing it in the future, am I correct?

You would need to express it a little differently.

This is something I never intend to do.

With this sentence leaves no doubt that you have not done it before and you don't want to do it in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Finta and Naamplao

Now I have understood clearly how to use those sentence!

2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

pikipiki
    1...Yes, "I have never done it before." has the same meaning as the other two sentences.
    2...Use the same three sentences but without "before".

finta
    1...If "I have never done it before." is simply a statement of fact, why do you need "before". Just say 'I have never done it.'
    2...I think that "I never did it before." sounds odd to you because UK English speakers are fond of using perfect tense in situations in which North American speakers often use simple past. 'before what?' is the same as in the perfect tense sentence, 'before now'.
    3...Your last sentence, the past perfect one, of course needs the specified time reference "before I went to Australia." But in the present perfect 'I have never...', the time reference is is now, so why would one need to add "before" unless there is some contemplation of the situation changing.

For example, your boss asks you to do something. You say, 'Sorry boss, I don't know how to do it. (I haven't done it before.)(I never did it before.)(I have never done it before.)'

Naamplao
    1...What is incorrect about "I never did it before."?
    2...There is a big difference in meaning between "I never did it before." and "This is something I never intend to do." In my scenario, if your boss teaches you how to do it, you may well do it. The meaning is not that you never intend to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

pikipiki

Naamplao
    1...What is incorrect about "I never did it before."?
    2...There is a big difference in meaning between "I never did it before." and "This is something I never intend to do." In my scenario, if your boss teaches you how to do it, you may well do it. The meaning is not that you never intend to do it.???
    You should write a bit clearer, yourself. Which sentence are you referring to???

"This is something I never intend to do." certainly means that you never intend to do it, also implying that you haven't done it in the past. That is what she wants to communicate.

If you reread my post you will find that I said
    "I never did it before." is used in speaking English but that does not mean it is a good way to say it in written English.

2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    You should write a bit clearer, yourself. Which sentence are you referring to???

"This is something I never intend to do." certainly means that you never intend to do it, also implying that you haven't done it in the past. That is what she wants to communicate.

If you reread my post you will find that I said
    "I never did it before." is used in speaking English but that does not mean it is a good way to say it in written English.
    I thought it was quite clear which sentence I was referring to. I was saying that "I never did it before." does not mean "This is something I never intend to do." (nor do the perfect tense forms mean what the latter sentence means)
    And how are you so sure that "This is something I never intend to do." is what 'she' wants to communicate?
    I'm still waiting for you to tell me what is (grammatically) incorrect about "I never did it before." I think it is as correct as the perfect tense sentences are.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was quite clear which sentence I was referring to. I was saying that "I never did it before." does not mean "This is something I never intend to do." (nor do the perfect tense forms mean what the latter sentence means)
    I never said it meant the same thing I was responding to her FURTHER REQUEST!!!

Originally Posted by pikipiki
    Thank you, 2006

Is reading comprehension your strong point????

And how are you so sure that "This is something I never intend to do." is what 'she' wants to communicate?
    It is my interpretation of this sentence:

If I don't imply to do it or consider doing it but just want to give the information that I never did it before.
    I take this to mean she wants to say; she didn't do it in the past and won't want to do it in the future.....It is a confusing sentence...perhaps I mis-interpreted it But I don't think so.

And I agree that ""I never did it before." is correct I was wrong but I think there are better ways of communicating it....satisfied???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast