Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: haven't done and never do

Dear Naamplaw and 2006,

Thank you for your answer . I am sorry that my question was not clear enough and then led the debate here, I apologized for that

What I meaned is that I want to say I have never do something before (from the past till now) and I may do or not do it in the future. For example;

Q) Have you ever travelled to London?
    A) 'I have never travelled to London before'

I may or may not travel to London in the future but I just want to give information (at that time someone asks) that I never travelled to London before.

finta is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    finta
    1...If "I have never done it before." is simply a statement of fact, why do you need "before". Just say 'I have never done it.'
    2...I think that "I never did it before." sounds odd to you because UK English speakers are fond of using perfect tense in situations in which North American speakers often use simple past. 'before what?' is the same as in the perfect tense sentence, 'before now'.
    3...Your last sentence, the past perfect one, of course needs the specified time reference "before I went to Australia." But in the present perfect 'I have never...', the time reference is is now, so why would one need to add "before" unless there is some contemplation of the situation changing.

Hi 2006!

I'm in agreement with you!

1. The 'before' in "I have never done it before" is unnecessary because the present perfect contains that implication....I only included it as it was in pikipiki's original sentence. It becomes more relevant in a sentence such as "I've never tried this before," as you are about to eat your first mouthful of fricasseed toad!

2. Yes, UK English does not use the simple past in this way....although it's doubtless seeping into it via US films etc.

3. Ditto 1.

finta

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pikipiki View Post
    Dear Naamplaw and 2006,

Thank you for your answer . I am sorry that my question was not clear enough and then led the debate here, I apologized for that

What I meaned is that I want to say I have never do something before (from the past till now) and I may do or not do it in the future. For example;

Q) Have you ever travelled to London?
    A) 'I have never travelled to London before'

I may or may not travel to London in the future but I just want to give information (at that time someone asks) that I never travelled to London before.
    If that is the case, just say

Q) Have you ever traveled to London?
    A)
    No, I have never traveled to London.

There is no reason to add the word "before" at the end of the sentence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    If that is the case, just say

Q) Have you ever traveled to London?
    A) No, I have never traveled to London.

There is no reason to add the word "before" at the end of the sentence.
    Ok, I got it. Thank you very much

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2