come to work vs. go to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nefertiti

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi there.

What's the difference between 'come to work' and 'go to work'?

If I send an email to notify my co-workers, is it correct to say, " I can't come to work today"?

If I send it to friends, is it correct to say, "I can't go to work today"?

Any other differences between the two?
Or any better suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

deleter154

Member Type
Student or Learner
this is a good question when you say "i can't come to work"
you are telling them you will not BE there
when you say "i cant go to work"
you are telling them you will not be able to GO

Nefertiti

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, deleter154 or anyone.

It seems that I can either say, " I can't come to work today" or "I can't go to work today" and there's no significant difference between the two. If I'm sick or need deal with some personal matters and have to send an email to notify my co-workers. Is it so?

What about if I send an email to friends rather than co-workers? Is it correct to say, "I can't go to work today" or "I can't come to work today"? I guess it would be incorrect to say, "I can't come to work today". Wouldn't it?

Thanks for the reply.

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
It seems that I can either say, " I can't come to work today" or "I can't go to work today" and there's no significant difference between the two.

The way we use go and come in English depends on who we speak to, where they are, what they are, and probably some other reasons that escape me now, N.

If I'm sick or need deal with some personal matters and have to send an email to notify my co-workers. Is it so?

In this case the most natural choice would be 'come to work' because the co-workers are at that place under discussion.

What about if I send an email to friends rather than co-workers? Is it correct to say, "I can't go to work today" or "I can't come to work today"? I guess it would be incorrect to say, "I can't come to work today". Wouldn't it?

The most natural would be 'go to work' because the friends are not at the place under discussion.

Thanks for the reply.

##

Nefertiti

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, RD.

This is what I meant in my first post. Thanks for the clarification.:-D

deleter154

Member Type
Student or Learner
hey your right about telling your freinds
"i cant come to work" well i hope it all workds out

cypherpunks

Member Type
Student or Learner
Another situation: Imagine you've decided too meet up with a friend at a coffee shop tomorrow, but you can't go.

Would you say to A) your friend: I can't go tomorrow.
B) your mum: I can't come tomorrow.

My gut-feeling says no.

Status
Not open for further replies.