Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: utmost?


    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 85
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    utmost?

    How do you use the word utmost?
    My teacher said that it can only be used in literary writing.
    What means by literary writing?
    Does that mean I cannot use the word utmost in writing compositions but fiction??

    Thanks!

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    I am not sure what "literary writing" is. The phrase seems to be a redundancy.

    I don't know why you can't use "utmost" in speech. Example:
    • I did my utmost to win, but I lost.


    :)


    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 85
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    I am not sure what "literary writing" is. The phrase seems to be a redundancy.

    I don't know why you can't use "utmost" in speech. Example:
    • I did my utmost to win, but I lost.


    :)
    The dictionary says "utmost" can be used like the word "best"
    I don't know why i can't use the word"utmost" in common writing...

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bread
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    I am not sure what "literary writing" is. The phrase seems to be a redundancy.

    I don't know why you can't use "utmost" in speech. Example:
    • I did my utmost to win, but I lost.


    :)
    The dictionary says "utmost" can be used like the word "best"
    I don't know why i can't use the word"utmost" in common writing...
    Well, I'm not going to say you can't. :)

    (Say: informal writing)

    :)

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 18,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: utmost?

    Quote Originally Posted by bread
    How do you use the word utmost?
    My teacher said that it can only be used in literary writing.
    What means by literary writing?
    Does that mean I cannot use the word utmost in writing compositions but fiction??

    Thanks!
    I disagree with your teacher. Certainly, the word "utmost" is not the most common of English words, but it is also not so obscure or formal that its use should bother anybody in a less-than-formal setting. :wink:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •