• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Refresher

I'm about to go into a round of applying for English teaching positions and a PGCE. The thing is my degree was in Film and TV Studies, which is an acceptable degree for English teaching, but it's been a long time since I've done any English language in the technical sense (I finished my degree 2 years ago). I do have an A-Level in English language and I got an A, so I'm pretty good at it, but I'm just looking for some sort of free online course that will remind me of everything I already know (I could correct any sentence you give me, but give me a sentence and tell me to identify it as present perfect or whatever, and I'll go blank). Does anyone know of any decent websites?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Refresher

Pal,
    It's no big deal as far as your command of English is good enough to be accepted as an English teacher's generally!
    Go get your hands on a few English grammar books to get familiar with grammar terminology and read briefly about the teaching methods. You'll be on a roll when you get yourself in action.
    You have a pretty good background to be a very successful English teacher!
    Good luck

Ruholla Kazemi
    EFL Teacher
    EAP Teacher
    English Teacher Trainer
    Last edited by godfingers; 14-Feb-2008 at 00:47.

Post Thanks / Like

Or you could order a basic grammar book from Amazon (or Amazon Marketplace, if you don't mind second hand). A good basic brush up is Michael Swan Practical English Usage.

Amazon.co.uk: Practical English Usage (3rd Edition): Books: Michael Swan

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid View Post
    I'm about to go into a round of applying for English teaching positions and a PGCE. The thing is my degree was in Film and TV Studies, which is an acceptable degree for English teaching, but it's been a long time since I've done any English language in the technical sense (I finished my degree 2 years ago). I do have an A-Level in English language and I got an A, so I'm pretty good at it, but I'm just looking for some sort of free online course that will remind me of everything I already know (I could correct any sentence you give me, but give me a sentence and tell me to identify it as present perfect or whatever, and I'll go blank). Does anyone know of any decent websites?
    How about here? English Language Reference Resources - UsingEnglish.com

Another site worth looking at is: Handouts: Main Index