Anonymous Guest

Default Teachers' help to solve crossword puzzle

Dear Teachers, I would appreciate it very much if you could help me solve the following crossword puzzle.

1. Under icy conditions..............a car can present abnormal difficulties.
    ( Clue : There are 7 letters for the correct word )
    I cannot decide which word is better for the above puzzle. Do you think that the word " Starting " is better than " driving " ?. Is it really difficult to start ( ignite )an engine of a car during winter or it is difficult to "drive " it ?

2. Can I use the word " navigation " for vehicles instead of " driving " for the following puzzle ? Do you think that the word " gliding " is more appriopriate than the word " driving" ?

e.g. In competitive......................proper navigation is all that important.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

1 Of the two,I'd say 'driving' was the more difficult, though something like 'steering' or 'controlling' make more sense to me.

2- Navigation is for ships and planes, and we don't drive them. 'In competitive gliding, navigation is all important' makes sense to me.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teachers' help to solve crossword puzzle

Quote Originally Posted by Learner
    Dear Teachers, I would appreciate it very much if you could help me solve the following crossword puzzle.

1. Under icy conditions..............a car can present abnormal difficulties.
    ( Clue : There are 7 letters for the correct word )
    I cannot decide which word is better for the above puzzle. Do you think that the word " Starting " is better than " driving " ?. Is it really difficult to start ( ignite )an engine of a car during winter or it is difficult to "drive " it ?

2. Can I use the word " navigation " for vehicles instead of " driving " for the following puzzle ? Do you think that the word " gliding " is more appriopriate than the word " driving" ?

e.g. In competitive......................proper navigation is all that important.
    I would go with driving in the first, although the phrase "abnormal difficulties" is a bit strange.

There is a type of car race, called a "road rally" in which navigation is very important. The race is timed, but speed is not the entire point. The course is not clearly laid out and the competitors must figure it out from maps and clues.