Thread: spit verb?

Post Thanks / Like

Question spit verb?

My friends and I were proof reading each other's translation when I came across the following sentence

"The government recently pledged to reduce actively emissions of greenhouse gas and decided to establish a carbon trade market as the first measure of this policy."

I pointed out that "...reduce actively emissions..." sounds really weird, and should be corrected as "...actively reduce emissions..."

but she insisted that she was right, saying that this is called "split verb" and that actively must come after reduce.

I pondered upon the sentence for a while, and decided still that the sentence was wrong.

Which is correct?

Also, I thought "...the first measure of this policy" sounded weird. Shouldn't it be "the first measure FOR this policy."

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: spit verb?

Quote Originally Posted by kpkroy View Post
    My friends and I were proof reading each other's translation when I came across the following sentence

"The government recently pledged to reduce actively emissions of greenhouse gas and decided to establish a carbon trade market as the first measure of this policy."

I pointed out that "...reduce actively emissions..." sounds really weird, and should be corrected as "...actively reduce emissions..."

but she insisted that she was right, saying that this is called "split verb" and that actively must come after reduce.

I pondered upon the sentence for a while, and decided still that the sentence was wrong.

Which is correct?

Your friend may be operating under the mistaken impression that you can't split an infinitive in English, hence he/she thinks that 'actively' can't be place between 'to' and 'reduce'.

First, that was never a rule for English. That was a prescription. The difference between rules and prescriptions is that prescriptions do NOT describe how English is actually used.

""...reduce actively emissions..." is not wrong, Kpk, but it is completely unnatural. It does sound weird.

Also, I thought "...the first measure of this policy" sounded weird. Shouldn't it be "the first measure FOR this policy."

I think that 'of' is fine. Without giving it a lot of thought, it's late and I'm bagged, 'for' would work too.

##

Post Thanks / Like

Re: spit verb?

aha!

thank you!! =D