Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: mark time

  1. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Smile mark time

    This calendar, however, did not predict an important event in Egypt: the annual flooding of the Nile River. The Egyptians needed a different way to mark time.



    Is it the same to write record time rather than mark time in the above context? Thanks.


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 557
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: mark time

    That would seem to be the correct interpretation of 'to mark time' here. Its usual meaning of 'marching on the spot while waiting for something to happen' would make no sense at all in this sentence.

  2. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: mark time

    Quote Originally Posted by Horsa View Post
    That would seem to be the correct interpretation of 'to mark time' here. Its usual meaning of 'marching on the spot while waiting for something to happen' would make no sense at all in this sentence.
    Thanks, Horsa, for the helpful reply.
    But I don't get "marching on the spot."


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,155
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: mark time

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Horsa, for the helpful reply.
    But I don't get "marching on the spot."
    He means acting as though you are marching, your legs move up and down, your arms swing side to side but you don't move forward or backward.

    "Marking time" also means to just pretend to do something for a while (which is sort of like "marching on the spot".)

    My boss thought I was working hard but really I was just marking time until it was time to go home.

    This of course has nothing to do with your first question.


  3. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: mark time

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    He means acting as though you are marching, your legs move up and down, your arms swing side to side but you don't move forward or backward.

    "Marking time" also means to just pretend to do something for a while (which is sort of like "marching on the spot".)

    My boss thought I was working hard but really I was just marking time until it was time to go home.

    This of course has nothing to do with your first question.
    Thanks, Naamplao, for your clear explanation.
    For curiosity's sake, does it sound right to say:

    My boss ... but really I was just marching on the spot ...?


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,155
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: mark time

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Naamplao, for your clear explanation.
    For curiosity's sake, does it sound right to say:

    My boss ... but really I was just marching on the spot ...?
    No....that would look funny.

Similar Threads

  1. Is Yesterday a past time?
    By shun in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-Feb-2008, 19:54
  2. turn, turn, turn
    By Nefertiti in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Oct-2007, 19:16
  3. Revisiting Present Perfect
    By jwschang in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-Feb-2006, 13:50
  4. high time
    By njanja in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 29-Aug-2005, 13:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •