Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Grab the eyeballs

    Hello there:

    I'm just wondering if western people say "grab the eyeballs"? I was talking to my boss this afternoon and I mentioned this phrase...and she laughed so hard about it. However, I remember seeing the phrase somewhere.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grab the eyeballs

    Quote Originally Posted by tingtz View Post
    Hello there:

    I'm just wondering if western people say "grab the eyeballs"? I was talking to my boss this afternoon and I mentioned this phrase...and she laughed so hard about it. However, I remember seeing the phrase somewhere.

    Thanks.
    Well it would be funny to see. It is not a very common expression but I can imagine it could be used to emphasize how intently you looked at something that happened.

    The sight of the stripper dancing on the stage grabbed my eyeballs and I forgot about everything else in the room until her routine ended.

    Your eyes would look like they were bulging out of their sockets at the sight.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grab the eyeballs

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    Well it would be funny to see. It is not a very common expression but I can imagine it could be used to emphasize how intently you looked at something that happened.

    The sight of the stripper dancing on the stage grabbed my eyeballs and I forgot about everything else in the room until her routine ended.

    Your eyes would look like they were bulging out of their sockets at the sight.
    Thanks for the reply.

    So I take it as...it's not completely wrong for using the phrase in the informal conversation right?

  4. #4
    Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grab the eyeballs

    Quote Originally Posted by tingtz View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

    So I take it as...it's not completely wrong for using the phrase in the informal conversation right?
    No it is not wrong but personally I would never use the expression.

  5. #5
    yeng23 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Re: Grab the eyeballs

    it is an idiom, right?
    grab my eyeballs means someone has get your attention
    like:
    She grab my eyeballs!

  6. #6
    Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grab the eyeballs

    Quote Originally Posted by yeng23 View Post
    it is an idiom, right?
    grab my eyeballs means someone has get your attention
    like:
    She grab my eyeballs!
    Grabbed or grabs

    yes....but as I said...unless you are trying to be funny...you would sound weird saying this expression.

Similar Threads

  1. grasp, grip, grab
    By mayclaire in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2007, 15:08
  2. grab, crap, crab
    By vuolanne in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Jan-2007, 09:23
  3. To grab or to take, that is the question
    By Idiomaticus in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2006, 16:45
  4. Grab Forty Winks
    By MARTICA in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2006, 09:10
  5. Grab and grab for
    By bmo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Feb-2004, 22:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk