Thread: Stative Verbs

Unregistered Guest

Unhappy Stative Verbs

From what I know, you can't use stative verbs in the progressive tense. If you can only say :I love you, since love is a stative verb, how come Mcdonalds say in their ads: "I'm loving it"? I know it's a silly question, but a student of mine asked me that while I was explaining to her about stative verbs, and I didn't have an answer for her, which was very embarrassing..

Thank you for your help.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stative Verbs

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    From what I know, you can't use stative verbs in the progressive tense. If you can only say :I love you, since love is a stative verb, how come Mcdonalds say in their ads: "I'm loving it"? I know it's a silly question, but a student of mine asked me that while I was explaining to her about stative verbs, and I didn't have an answer for her, which was very embarrassing..

Thank you for your help.
    Hmmmm....I am not a great fan of MacDonald's marketing but "I'm loving it" is perfectly fine in the correct context.

It is a different meaning than associated with "I love you"

I'm loving it! means you are really happy with something on an ongoing basis.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help.
    Unr,

It's not a silly question, it's an excellent question. You may have read this in a grammar book; if so, then the grammar book didn't go far enough.

Try to stay away from absolutes in language teaching. Use normally, generally, because there are always exceptions.

"I love her" is a state condition versus "I'm loving her" which holds one meaning that the two are involved in intimate actions of some sort.

Even though "I smell something burning" isn't really a state, we normally/usually/generally deal with it as a state. That doesn't mean that it's impossible to say, "I'm smelling something burning".

Here are two examples from a Google search.

Golden Brown Food » Blog Archive » The Kitchen Idiot - Move No 2
    A while in and I’m smelling something burning. My first instinct is to turn off the toaster/convection oven, thinking perhaps the power cord was caught ...

All of a sudden I'm smelling something burning and look to see that the temperature gauge for the transmission isn't showing a temperature. Uh-oh. ...

Buddhaheart is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help.
    ‘Can’t’ is strong word. While most stative verbs can't or shouldn’t be used with the continuous, ‘love’, ‘feel’ & ‘like’ are examples of exception. ‘I’m loving it’ is similar to ‘I’m enjoying it’. Both express an action. ‘Loving’ here expresses active enjoyment, not a permanent attitude or state. I think it’s fine in Mcdonald's ad example you cited.