Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Go postal.

Post Thanks / Like

Go postal.

Do people feel angry when they go to the post office?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on the length of the queue. In the UK, I'd say yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I'm just thinking if post office has something to do with anger in that idiom. :wink:

Is 'postal' a noun here? I'd say that travellers often send beautiful post cards back to their hometown, and it takes forever to get those postals. Once you get it, the 'sender' was home already. That's why peole get angry. :(

What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    I'm just thinking if post office has something to do with anger in that idiom. :wink:

Is 'postal' a noun here? I'd say that travellers often send beautiful post cards back to their hometown, and it takes forever to get those postals. Once you get it, the 'sender' was home already. That's why peole get angry. :(

What do you think?
    To go postal originated with postal employees. The job entails endless delivery of mail that never ends, never stops. It's a daily chore of lugging around a heavy bag filled with phonebooks, magazines, letters, parcels, postcards, etc. It can break a person's spirit--never seeing the end of the line, your accomplishment, your reward for a hard day's work. The mail never stops! Imagine your work. If you work in a office, there are reports to get done, and they get done; If you work in the food industry, there are people to serve, and they get served. If you work in the medical profession, there are people to see, and they get seen, taken care of. If you are a teacher, there are students to teach, and they get taught, they learn (something, we hope :? ). In all professions, save postal work, there's a sense of accomplishment: a beginning and an end. With the mail there is no end in sight. It just keeps coming, and coming, and coming.

We need to see that we've accomplished something, especially in our work. It tells us who we are, it builds pride, spirit, and self-worth. Not having a sense of accomplishment can break a person's spirit; employees can lose sight of their reason for being; they can lose all sense of their emotions; they can become frustrated, angry, and even dangerous to the point of wanting to kill the people they work with, which is where the term 'go postal' originates from. Some postal employees, in different locations throughout North America, have shown up at work with a weapon and have murdered the people there.

Don't go postal (on me) has a very sad history. It means, don't lose all sense of your emotions. Don't get angry. Stay focused, calm, cool, and relaxed. 8)

All the best,

Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive, Cas.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would have said the same thing as Cas, but not as well.
    :wink:

I don't think postal employees are necessarily less happy in their jobs or more violent than other workers, but a couple of unfortunate incidents got a lot of publicity. (Of course, "unfortunate" there is an understatement.)

:(

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

I don't think postal employees are necessarily less happy in their jobs or more violent than other workers, but a couple of unfortunate incidents got a lot of publicity. (Of course, "unfortunate" there is an understatement.)

I agree with you. There have been many similar incidents that involved other types of businesses. There are nuts in all jobs and professions. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

I agree with you. There have been many similar incidents that involved other types of businesses. There are nuts in all jobs and professions. :wink:
    nuts

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    People living with stability or sanity issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    People living with stability or sanity issues.
    Both younger generation and older one living with stability are nuts?

:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast