Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default writing you vs. writing to you

    Good morning,

    I'm correcting a letter that one of my business students has to send to another company and he wrote "I'm writing you about...". I know I've heard this many times and it actually sounds good but, isn't "I'm writing to you about..." better? Please help!

    Thank you,

    Marisa
    Last edited by marisa1rodriguez; 30-Oct-2007 at 10:30. Reason: misspelling

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: writing you vs. writing to you

    Quote Originally Posted by marisa1rodriguez View Post
    Good morning,

    I'm correcting a letter that one of my business students has to send to another company and he wrote "I'm writing you about...". I know I've heard this many times and it actually sounds good but, isn't "I'm writing to you about..." better? Please help!

    Thank you,

    Marisa
    Hi Marisa,
    The first is what an american might say, the second is the English form, so both are correct.

  3. #3
    I'm With Stupid's Avatar
    I'm With Stupid is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: writing you vs. writing to you

    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Hi Marisa,
    The first is what an american might say, the second is the English form, so both are correct.
    Really? I would say that "I am writing you..." is just wrong full stop. I've never seen any native English speaker use it.

  4. #4
    engee30's Avatar
    engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: writing you vs. writing to you

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid View Post
    Really? I would say that "I am writing you..." is just wrong full stop. I've never seen any native English speaker use it.
    Which can only prove the fact that you are British by birth, by nationality, by way of thinking, and the like!

    Check it out (type in 'write', and check the paragraph dealing with 'A LETTER'):
    Possible entries for 'write'

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: writing you vs. writing to you

    Marisa, ask one of the American members...I'm sure I'm right here!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: writing you vs. writing to you

    Well either way.
    I find the phrase horrible whether you omit the word to or not.
    I much prefer to say I write. As much as the two things are fundamentally the same thing, saying I am writing just seems to me like a statement of the obvious - that is, you are obviously writing, why bother stating it?

  7. #7
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: writing you vs. writing to you

    The letter is a formal business letter, so it must be "I am writing to you". "Writing you" is colloquial and informal.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: writing you vs. writing to you

    You should not use either version. As someone else has written, when I receive a letter starting "I'm writing to you about ....." I just think how unimaginative and lazy. As my English teacher used to say, never state the obvious. Obviously you're writing to me because I have the letter here in my hand!

    As an alternative, just say what you want without this superfluous preamble.

    for example:

    "I wish to introduce myself ........" not "Iím writing to introduce myself ......."

    Hope this helps

  9. #9
    Micaela's Avatar
    Micaela is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Uruguay
      • Current Location:
      • Uruguay
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: writing you vs. writing to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    Well either way.
    I find the phrase horrible whether you omit the word to or not.
    I much prefer to say I write. As much as the two things are fundamentally the same thing, saying I am writing just seems to me like a statement of the obvious - that is, you are obviously writing, why bother stating it?
    Tomorrow I am taking my First Certificate Exam and while studing I came across this thread which states exactly mi opinion about teh way we are made to write formal letters.

    The thing is that we are tought to do it in that way. All of my books say that the way to start a formal letter is saying:"I am writing to you in order to/ in connection with/ regarding/ about your/to apply for/ to ask about, etc..

Similar Threads

  1. Where to start improving my English writing
    By Callisto in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2010, 06:32
  2. how can we make writing subject more interesting?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2008, 07:26
  3. How the Creative Writing Process Works
    By huda23 in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-May-2008, 02:37
  4. editing
    By hashem in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jan-2008, 00:52
  5. writing
    By lisetita in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Feb-2005, 09:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •