writing you vs. writing to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

marisa1rodriguez

Member Type
English Teacher
Good morning,

I'm correcting a letter that one of my business students has to send to another company and he wrote "I'm writing you about...". I know I've heard this many times and it actually sounds good but, isn't "I'm writing to you about..." better? Please help!

Thank you,

Marisa

Last edited:

moggy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Good morning,

I'm correcting a letter that one of my business students has to send to another company and he wrote "I'm writing you about...". I know I've heard this many times and it actually sounds good but, isn't "I'm writing to you about..." better? Please help!

Thank you,

Marisa
Hi Marisa,
The first is what an american might say, the second is the English form, so both are correct.

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi Marisa,
The first is what an american might say, the second is the English form, so both are correct.
Really? I would say that "I am writing you..." is just wrong full stop. I've never seen any native English speaker use it.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Really? I would say that "I am writing you..." is just wrong full stop. I've never seen any native English speaker use it.

Which can only prove the fact that you are British by birth, by nationality, by way of thinking, and the like!

Check it out (type in 'write', and check the paragraph dealing with 'A LETTER'):
Possible entries for 'write'
:-D

moggy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Marisa, ask one of the American members...I'm sure I'm right here!

Niall

Member Type
Student or Learner
Well either way.
I find the phrase horrible whether you omit the word to or not.
I much prefer to say I write. As much as the two things are fundamentally the same thing, saying I am writing just seems to me like a statement of the obvious - that is, you are obviously writing, why bother stating it?

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
The letter is a formal business letter, so it must be "I am writing to you". "Writing you" is colloquial and informal.

crazedalamo

Member Type
Other
You should not use either version. As someone else has written, when I receive a letter starting "I'm writing to you about ....." I just think how unimaginative and lazy. As my English teacher used to say, never state the obvious. Obviously you're writing to me because I have the letter here in my hand!

As an alternative, just say what you want without this superfluous preamble.

for example:

"I wish to introduce myself ........" not "I’m writing to introduce myself ......."

Hope this helps

Micaela

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Uruguay
Current Location
Uruguay
Well either way.
I find the phrase horrible whether you omit the word to or not.
I much prefer to say I write. As much as the two things are fundamentally the same thing, saying I am writing just seems to me like a statement of the obvious - that is, you are obviously writing, why bother stating it?

Tomorrow I am taking my First Certificate Exam and while studing I came across this thread which states exactly mi opinion about teh way we are made to write formal letters.

The thing is that we are tought to do it in that way. All of my books say that the way to start a formal letter is saying:"I am writing to you in order to/ in connection with/ regarding/ about your/to apply for/ to ask about, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.