Thread: edit

• Post Thanks / Like

edit

I got something in the mail:

"Dr. Tang obtained her master degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine from the Guangzhou University of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Guanzhou. She practiced at the Guangzhou Medical University Hospital in Guangzhou for 18 years before coming to America. She is a professor in the bay area for 10 years."

I like to edit but might just make it worse:

1. Should be her master's degree.
    2. Either Traditional Chinese Medicine or traditional Chinese medicine is fine.
    3. From the Guangzhou University, remove article the.
    4. She practiced at the Guangzhou Medical University.... It should be "She had practiced at Guangzhou Medical University..."
    5. She is a professor in the bay area for 10 years. It should be "She has been a professor in Bay Area for 10 years." (P.S. Bay Area is San Francisco and its surrounding areas.)

Please comment and thanks.

BMO

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: edit

Dr. Tang obtained an MA in traditional Chinese medicine in Guanzhou, China, from the University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. She had been practising medicine for the past 28 years, 18 years at her Alma Mater and 10 years in the San Francisco Bay area. :D

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Dr. Tang obtained an MA in traditional Chinese medicine in Guanzhou, China, from the University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. She had been practising medicine for the past 28 years, 18 years at her Alma Mater and 10 years in the San Francisco Bay area. :D

Thanks, Casiopea, it looks more like a native's writing with your edit, but I have some questions:

1. Could you comment on my grammar corrections?

2. Guangzgou University of Traditional Medicine probably is a complete school name. I mean "Guangzhou" is part of the name.

3. Guangzhou Medical University Hospital probably is not the same university. This hospital most likely includes western medicine as well.

4. The original flyer did not say she has been practicing medicine for the past 10 years, just that she has been a professor.

5. The words "had been" sounds like she is no longer practicing medicine in the Basy Area.

BMO