Post Thanks / Like

Paraphrasing some sentences

please help me and explain the underlying sentences for me.

Like most people' I'm a bit wary of car advertisement. Whether they're Audi's or anyone else's.
    So when I bought an Audi 100LS, I decided to check the results I got against the claims they made.
    We've been together now for 100,000 miles, and I have kept a full record of everything I've spent on my car.
    Right down to the car wax and the polishing cloths.
    And I can only say that, in my experience, the people at Audi were guilty of gross understatement.
    They claim that the Audi 100 is remarkably economical.
    But nowhere do they tell you that it gives almost 32mpg overall, which is what I've averaged over the past five years. (I haven't, by the way, been driving as though I was in Total Economy Run. My 100,000 miles include 2,000 pulling a caravan.)
    They came a little closer to the truth when they said that the Audi 100 is reliable.
    Last edited by hedy; 31-Oct-2007 at 20:54.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paraphrasing some sentences

Quote Originally Posted by hedy View Post
    please help me and explain the underlying sentences for me.

Like most people' I'm a bit wary of car advertisement. Whether they're Audi's or anyone else's.
    So when I bought an Audi 100LS, I decided to check the results I got against the claims they made.
    We've been together now for 100,000 miles, and I have kept a full record of everything I've spent on my car.
    And I can only say that, in my experience, the people at Audi were guilty of gross understatement.
    But nowhere do they tell you that it gives almost 32mpg overall, which is what I've averaged over the past five years. (I haven't, by the way, been driving as though I was in Total Economy Run. My 100,000 miles include 2,000 pulling a caravan.)
    They came a little closer to the truth when they said that the Audi 100 is reliable.

I'm a bit wary of car advertisement.
    I am quite cautious of car advertisments.
    Even including the car wax and polishing cloths.
    the people at Audi were guilty of gross understatement
    the car was even better than Audi led me to believe.
    They failed to mention that it runs at an average of almost 32mpg, as I have found over the past five years. (And incidentally didn't drive in Total Economy Run. For 2,000 of those 100,000 miles I was pulling a caravan).

I hope this vague paraphrasing helps. I am not particularly happy with my version of the 3rd phrase.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paraphrasing some sentences

Quote Originally Posted by hedy View Post
    please help me and explain the underlined sentences for me.

Like most people' I'm a bit wary of car advertisement. ["I don't trust what is said in advertisements for cars"] Whether they're Audi's or anyone else's.
    Right down to the car wax and the polishing cloths. ["Included in the items I have recorded are the tins of wax for polishing the car and the cloths to do the polishing"]
    And I can only say that, in my experience, the people at Audi were guilty of gross understatement. ["The people at Audi have not told the whole truth about the running costs of their cars"]
    But nowhere do they tell you that it gives almost 32mpg overall, which is what I've averaged over the past five years. (I haven't, by the way, been driving as though I was in Total Economy Run. My 100,000 miles include 2,000 pulling a caravan.) [The person writing this is saying that he has achieved a [relatively] high mileage, which is better than was originally suggested in the advertisements, during the five years he has been driving his Audi (including his car towing a caravan which means it uses more fuel than usual).]