• Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

• Post Thanks / Like

Cool First Blood

Yes, of course, it's main Rambo movie, and the novel too, but what's the meaning of this expression? I read it refers "to the act of drawing blood first to instigating the aggression."
    No quite sure of understanding this; does it mean wounding yourself with a knife or the like to the point of bleeding in order to become yourself more aggressive to be ready for some kind of attack? That's to say, a way to provoke anger in yourself?

Any help of major appreciation.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Yes, of course, it's main Rambo movie, and the novel too, but what's the meaning of this expression? I read it refers "to the act of drawing blood first to instigating the aggression."
    No quite sure of understanding this; does it mean wounding yourself with a knife or the like to the point of bleeding in order to become yourself more aggressive to be ready for some kind of attack? That's to say, a way to provoke anger in yourself?

Any help of major appreciation.
    You should know by now that you should quote the whole sentence....not just the "interesting part".

"Drawing first blood" or "drawing blood first" usually means the same thing. It means to strike the competitor or enemy first. It doesn't have to be literally cutting someone...sometimes it is metaphorical.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

• Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: First Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    You should know by now that you should quote the whole sentence....not just the "interesting part".

"Drawing first blood" or "drawing blood first" usually means the same thing. It means to strike the competitor or enemy first. It doesn't have to be literally cutting someone...sometimes it is metaphorical.
    Thank you for your fast and helpful attention. Sorry for not providing more information but it's the only one I have on it because the text the paragraph is inserted in tells on other subjects and I thought providing it wouldn't be of any help.

On the other hand, let me ask you for the use of a gerund after "to." The text provided ends with "to instigating the aggression" Please, can you tell me what does exactly mean "instigate" in gerund after "to"? There must be some kind of nuance, mustn't it?

Thank You very much again for your kind attention.
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 01-Nov-2007 at 10:23.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Thank you for your fast and helpful attention. Sorry for not providing more information but it's the only one I have on it because the text the paragraph is inserted in tells on other subjects and I thought providing it wouldn't be of any help.

On the other hand, let me ask you for the use of a gerund after "to." The text provided ends with "to instigating the aggression" Please, can you tell me what does exactly mean "instigate" in gerund after "to"? There must be some kind of nuance, mustn't it?

Thank You very much again for your kind attention.
    "Instigating" means starting

It is not possible to say if the use of a gerund is grammatically correct here since you have not provided us with a complete sentence.