Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    RL's Avatar
    RL is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Teachers, I need your help

    What's the difference between "a lot" and "alot" and What's the appropriate use of each?! It's quite confusing. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice question, and surprising answer to me:

    Quote Originally Posted by grammarmudge.cityslide.com
    Although a lot of people write it, no such word as alot exists in English. Whether it is "a lot of fun" or "I like you a lot," a lot is always two words. The verdict on alright is less clear. The American Heritage Dictionary (click here) states that alright is generally not all right. The Merriam-Webster Collegiate, however, tends to give some approval to alright (click here). We believe, however, that there is still no strong consensus for using, or need to use, alright.
    Perhaps this common spelling error began because there does exist in English a word spelled “allot” which is a verb meaning to apportion or grant. The correct form, with “a” and “lot” separated by a space is perhaps not often encountered in print because formal writers usually use other expressions such as “a great deal,” “often,” etc. If you can’t remember the rule, just remind yourself that just as you wouldn’t write “alittle” you shouldn’t write “alot.”
    I've always thought that 'alot' was correct, if UK probably.

    Anyway, RL, you have a lot of charm

    FRC

  3. #3
    RL's Avatar
    RL is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    Nice question, and surprising answer to me:

    Quote Originally Posted by grammarmudge.cityslide.com
    Although a lot of people write it, no such word as alot exists in English. Whether it is "a lot of fun" or "I like you a lot," a lot is always two words. The verdict on alright is less clear. The American Heritage Dictionary (click here) states that alright is generally not all right. The Merriam-Webster Collegiate, however, tends to give some approval to alright (click here). We believe, however, that there is still no strong consensus for using, or need to use, alright.
    Perhaps this common spelling error began because there does exist in English a word spelled “allot” which is a verb meaning to apportion or grant. The correct form, with “a” and “lot” separated by a space is perhaps not often encountered in print because formal writers usually use other expressions such as “a great deal,” “often,” etc. If you can’t remember the rule, just remind yourself that just as you wouldn’t write “alittle” you shouldn’t write “alot.”
    I've always thought that 'alot' was correct, if UK probably.

    Anyway, RL, you have a lot of charm

    FRC

    Thanks a lot, Francois! :wink:

  4. #4
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,618
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's incorrect in the UK, though you will see it used. 'Alright' is generally accepted. I imagine that it will become accepted, but not yet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a trick to remembering that a lot is made up of two words: you can place a whole word between 'a' and 'lot', like this, a whole lot of fun! :D

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,618
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a neat way of making it clear. Thanks.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I actually had to force myself to sometimes write it in a single word, as I've always found the two-word form more natural. So this won't be a difficult habit to get out of.

    FRC

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    Well, I actually had to force myself to sometimes write it in a single word, as I've always found the two-word form more natural. So this won't be a difficult habit to get out of.

    FRC
    :D I'm curious to know why you felt you had to write a lot as one word in the first place. :D

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose I saw native or fluent speakers use it many times eg. on the internet. It looked to me like one of these BE peculiarities. And as I try to use actively most of the vocabulary I learn...

    FRC

  10. #10
    RL's Avatar
    RL is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Here's a trick to remembering that a lot is made up of two words: you can place a whole word between 'a' and 'lot', like this, a whole lot of fun! :D
    Thanks, Casiopea! :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Sep-2004, 13:56
  2. Need advice on 2nd conditional, thanks teachers ^o^
    By Helped Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2004, 15:14
  3. PLEASE ADVISE, teachers! URGENT :'(
    By Helped Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-Jan-2004, 08:25
  4. Dear teachers, I need help with correcting an Ans to a Q?Thx
    By Helped Wanted in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27-Jan-2004, 21:06
  5. teachers Department Affaris or Division Affairs?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2003, 21:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •