Anonymous Guest

may/might and can/could

Hi,

I am writing to ask a question about the usage of may/might and can/could.

A. I am asking the difference for the following two sentences.
    1. It is possible that it won't happen for another ten years. Will that happen?
    2. It is not possible that it will happen for another ten years. Will that happen?

B.
    1. It could be that they are not married. Does that mean that they can't be married?

2. It might be that they are not married. Does this mean that they may/ may not be married?

C.
    What does the difference in using "be of interest to someone" and "someone is interest in ..."?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: may/might and can/could

I am writing to ask a question about the usage of may/might and can/could.

A. I am asking the difference for the following two sentences.
    1. It is possible that it won't happen for another ten years. Will that happen? Not necessarily, but it might.
    2. It is not possible that it will happen for another ten years. Will that happen? No, not within the time period

B.
    1. It could be that they are not married. Does that mean that they can't be married? Not necessarily- they might be, but the person has a reason tosuspect that they aren't- unsure.

2. It might be that they are not married. Does this mean that they may/ may not be married? It's the same as the one above

C.
    What does the difference in using "be of interest to someone" and "someone is interest in ..."?
    It might be of interest to someone = if someone comes across it, they might be interested in it, but they haven't seen it yet.
    The second is wrong; it should be 'someone is inetrerested in'.