Daniel1177 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Teaching how to speak fluent English

Hello Ecerybody,

I have a 24 year old student who only wishes to learn how to speak English. He will travel to Australia in 3 more months and he wants to speak fluently there. I must mention that he's a very weak student who has small vocabulary and many spelling mistakes. I started with grammar, however, it is very difficult for him to remember & use the grammar rules correctly even though I've given him many real-life examples. Maybe you have some other suggestion for me?

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teaching how to speak fluent English

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel1177 View Post
    Hello Ecerybody,

I have a 24 year old student who only wishes to learn how to speak English. He will travel to Australia in 3 more months and he wants to speak fluently there. I must mention that he's a very weak student who has small vocabulary and many spelling mistakes. I started with grammar, however, it is very difficult for him to remember & use the grammar rules correctly even though I've given him many real-life examples. Maybe you have some other suggestion for me?

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel
    Daniel,
    I don't know anyone that could achieve fluency in English in three months, but what may help is if you familiarise the student with "Oz" (As many Australians call their country) I wouldn't worry too much about the spelling, he'll be speaking not writing. Concentrate on vocabulary and basic grammar, and teach him about Australias history and culture. He'll be meeting ordinary Aussies who won't be particularly bothered how good his grammar is. It's all about communicating, so concentrate on building his word power and confidence.

Find out where he's intending to travel in Oz and find it on this site

About Australia -The Australian Travel Guide

You may find inspiration here.
    Moggy

Daniel1177 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

These are good ideas. Thank you, Moggy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel1177 View Post
    These are good ideas. Thank you, Moggy
    You're welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

He'll need a lot of input and the more "multi modal" , the better. He'll have to do a lot of self study. He should seek out video with text TVesl is a good choice, I don't have the link with me. he can also get on skype, they have language groups for speaking with native speakers.

He could talk to the Bot on my site for dialogue and also see the karaoke and games there...all with voice so he'll be getting a more active input. EFL Classroom 2.0

David

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Daniel1177

If he's a weak student then you can sleep well at night knowing that nothing will drastically help in this VERY SHORT PERIOD OF LEARNING!!! I don't want to sound pessimistic, just realistic. Having said that, you both ought to agree on the amount of language you will cover (grammar, vocabulary etc). Do little but a good job rather than a lot without effectiveness. Make sure he (and you) understand the reality of this difficult situation and be happy with the little you'll gain (which is not a little to a new learner!). Good Luck and i'd like to hear a reply, bye!