Post Thanks / Like

Default finisher and tiebreaker

Hi.

Today at dinner I heard a guy say "finisher" and "tiebreaker" regarding a certain dish/food thingie (I wasn't paying close attention).

I am guessing that "finisher" is a slang word for "dessert"? Am I correct? It's a colloquial way of saying dessert?

As for tiebreaker, I have absolutely NO clue whatsoever what it means. Sorry I couldn't provide more context. Like I said I wasn't paying close attention, the only thing I know is that it was said in the context of a dinner and he was referring to some sort of food.

Danke.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: finisher and tiebreaker

These would normally be 'horse track' terms.

The bets at a track are to win, place, or show.

Win = finish first

Place = finish first or second

Show = finish first, second, or third

It doesn't count if you finish forth or higher, therefore, 'being in the finish' means that you would win a prize in competition.

'Tie Breaker' means that they are crossed the finish line at the exact same time, or achieved exactly the same score, therefore they will need to add more stringent requirements, another race, or another test of some kind to determine, which is faster, better, smarter, etc.

Wholeman

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WritingAPuppy View Post
    Hi.

Today at dinner I heard a guy say "finisher" and "tiebreaker" regarding a certain dish/food thingie (I wasn't paying close attention).

I am guessing that "finisher" is a slang word for "dessert"? Am I correct? It's a colloquial way of saying dessert?

As for tiebreaker, I have absolutely NO clue whatsoever what it means. Sorry I couldn't provide more context. Like I said I wasn't paying close attention, the only thing I know is that it was said in the context of a dinner and he was referring to some sort of food.

Danke.
    hmmmm....since you are in Canada now I suppose I have to answer this.

This sounds like two guys having an eating contest of some kind. Was this a buffet restaurant? That way they could eat as much as they wanted. Otherwise this conversation doesn't mean much to me. It is not common usage, that's for sure.

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    hmmmm....since you are in Canada now I suppose I have to answer this.

This sounds like two guys having an eating contest of some kind. Was this a buffet restaurant? That way they could eat as much as they wanted. Otherwise this conversation doesn't mean much to me. It is not common usage, that's for sure.
    I have never heard the term 'finisher' applied to eating. It is not commonly used in the US.

As for 'tiebreaker', I am assuming that one of the guys had to choose between two items of food that he enjoys equally. The two items are 'tied' for his attention. For whatever reason, he finally makes a decision on one of the items. Perhaps the item he finally selects is less expensive, is larger, or is less fattening! The item he selects, or the reason he uses to select the item, would be the 'tiebreaker'.

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Post Thanks / Like

You folks must not get the 'Food Network'.

'Iron chef' and shows like that have chef competitions these days. They rate the food in several categories, such as taste, display, variety, consistency, etc.

(Yes, they get the 'Food Network', even in Canada.)

The reference is such that, if this food were in competition on one of those shows, it would be a prizewinner. - Finisher -

These dishes are so good, only this one thing makes this particular dish better than the other dish. - Tiebreaker -

Wholeman
    Last edited by Wholeman; 05-Nov-2007 at 03:01.

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wholeman View Post
    You folks must not get the 'Food Network'.

'Iron chef' and shows like that have chef competitions these days. They rate the food in several categories, such as taste, display, variety, consistency, etc.

(Yes, they get the 'Food Network', even in Canada.)

The reference is such that, if this food were in competition on one of those shows, it would be a prizewinner. - Finisher -

These dishes are go good, only this one thing makes this particular dish better than the other dish. - Tiebreaker -

Wholeman
    Wholeman,

Thanks for the culinary update! I guess I have been so pre-occupied with watching the Cartoon Network that I have been overlooking the Food Network! Thanks for bringing me back to the kitchen!

Cheers,
    Amigos4