• Post Thanks / Like

Thinking in English.

Hi dear friends,
    I wrote this essay and I need some helps from you, because I'm sure that there are mistakes made along my writing.
    I'll appreciate any help from you.
    Thank you very much in advance.

If you are interested in perfecting your English, then there are many ways to help you reach your target. Native-speakers may advice you to read a lot, watch English movies and documentries inorder to reach fluency in your speaking, perfect your grammer, practice your new vocabulary by constucting your own phrases or by involving them in your daily discussions, practice your speaking wherever and whenever….And there's another effective way which is thinking in English.
    Thinking in another language instead of thinking in your mother language has been anything for me but easy, I believe that nothing is impossible, but hard working is worth it in such cases.
    The first step in this process is to listen more and more, train your brain to listen to English speakers while speaking, this has many benefits, you may need to repeat some common expressions which you are listening to.
    Try to think of things you see in your daily life in English, don't translate from your mother language. The more you practice that way, the easier it will be.
    Now after you've progressed in this way by adding several words to your vocabulary, you will be able to think about sentences and ideas of your own, so you might have self-talk, discussions with your friends, silent conversations with your self in English, you are probably doing all that in your mother language without thinking about it, so why don't you turn them into English?, it's not easy and it may takes time but it's well worth it.
    it.
    Last edited by sara88; 04-Nov-2007 at 10:37.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking in English.

Quote Originally Posted by sara88 View Post
    Hi dear friends,
    I wrote this essay and I need some helps from you, because I'm sure that there are mistakes made along my writing.
    I'll appreciate any help from you.
    Thank you very much in advance.

If you are interested in perfecting your English, then there are many ways to help you reach your target. Native-speakers may advice you to read a lot, watch English movies and documentries inorder to reach fluency in your speaking, perfect your grammer, practice your new vocabulary by constucting your own phrases or by involving them in your daily discussions, practice your speaking wherever and whenever….And there's another effective way which is thinking in English.

Thinking in another language instead of thinking in your mother language has been anything for me but easy, I believe that nothing is impossible, but hard working is worth it in such cases.

The first step in this process is to listen more and more, train your brain to listen to English speakers while speaking, this has many benefits, you may need to repeat some common expressions which you are listening to.

Try to think of things you see in your daily life in English, don't translate from your mother language. The more you practice that way, the easier it will be.

Now after you've progressed in this way by adding several words to your vocabulary, you will be able to think about sentences and ideas of your own, so you might have self-talk, discussions with your friends, silent conversations with your self in English, you are probably doing all that in your mother language without thinking about it, so why don't you turn them into English?, it's not easy and it may takes time but it's well worth it.

it.

Uhm, spelling is not correct in some words

• Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Thinking in English.

Hey Sara88,

I'm new here and the first post I've read is yours. So I thought I'd help you with the few mistakes in it!
    Here's what I think are the correct forms;
    • documentaries
    • in order
    • grammar
    • constructing
    • anything but easy for me
    • it may take time
    Sara88, know what? I'm a second language speaker but all my life I've found it a million times easier to think in English, even to express myself in english!!! That's one reason why your essay caught my eye! Good luck with it!

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by butterflyblues View Post
    Hey Sara88,

I'm new here and the first post I've read is yours. So I thought I'd help you with the few mistakes in it!
    Here's what I think are the correct forms;
    • documentaries
    • in order
    • grammar
    • constructing
    • anything but easy for me
    • it may take time
    Sara88, know what? I'm a second language speaker but all my life I've found it a million times easier to think in English, even to express myself in english!!! That's one reason why your essay caught my eye! Good luck with it!
    Thank you very much Butterflyblues for your reply.
    you have a cute nickname. I'm very happy you like my essay, me too I love the topic and find it important so I thought it was better to write about it. you have corrected my spelling mistakes thank you very much for that, but tell me please do you think that my grammar was correct?!.
    thank you very much again.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sara88 View Post
    Thank you very much Butterflyblues for your reply.
    you have a cute nickname. I'm very happy you like my essay, me too I love the topic and find it important so I thought it was better to write about it. you have corrected my spelling mistakes thank you very much for that, but tell me please do you think that my grammar was correct?!.
    thank you very much again.
    Sara, thanks! I love butterflies and my name refers to, you know, the occasional sad days that come n go in life, like the fluttering butterflies!

I think your grammar is quite good, but there is one sentence that I would have put in a different way. It's just a thought, though. Here's my idea; I believe nothing is impossible if you put in sufficient determination and perseverence.
    or even;
    I believe nothing is impossible, if you are willing to work hard enough.

What do you think?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by butterflyblues View Post
    Sara, thanks! I love butterflies and my name refers to, you know, the occasional sad days that come n go in life, like the fluttering butterflies!

I think your grammar is quite good, but there is one sentence that I would have put in a different way. It's just a thought, though. Here's my idea; I believe nothing is impossible if you put in sufficient determination and perseverence.
    or even;
    I believe nothing is impossible, if you are willing to work hard enough.

What do you think?
    Hi Butterfly,
    Thanks so much for your quick reply, acctually it's a wise choice of your nickname, I like your justification, you are right.
    Yes, your sentenses are far better than mine, but you know I was trying to involve the expression "worth it" in it cuz it's new for me, I think that's why it seemed a bit weird.
    Maldives islands, when I was a child I used to read about it and got impressed by its beauty .
    bye Butterfly.