"HOME FOLKS THINK I'M BIG IN DETROIT CITY..."
1. Is 'I'm big in a city' a common usage? Is it OK to say I'm big in N.Y. to mean I'm famous in the city? Yes! To be 'big' means to be powerful or well-connected in society. Is it common usage? That would depend upon the type of crowd with whom you do things.
"BY DAY I MAKE THE CARS BY NIGHT I MAKE THE BARS IF THEY COULD ONLY READ BETWEEN THE LINES"
2. Does 'by day' mean during the day time, 'by night' mean during the night time? Is 'by day/night' a common usage? Do you say it often? Yes, 'by day' usually means during regular work hours... 'by night' would be after sundown. Once, again, common usage would depend on the age and experience of your friends.
2'. What does 'make the bars' mean? Is it a common usage? 'To make the bar scene' means to go from one bar to another to see what action is happening at each bar.
3. What does 'can read between the lines' mean? Does it simply mean even his parents are old but still able to read. (good eyesight) Is it a common usage? 'Reading between the lines' has absolutely nothing to do with the physical ability to read (eyesight is not involved). The idiom means that there is a hidden agenda or activity that can't be detected at first.
Note: Sounds that it should be IF ONLY THEY COULD READ ....
"CAUSE YOU KNOW I ROAD A FREIGHT TRAIN NORTH TO DETROIT CITY"
4. I think there's a misspelling on 'cause you know I rode a freight ....' Yes, the correct spelling should be 'rode'.
"I'LL TAKE MY FOOLISH PRIDE AND PUT IT ON A SOUTH BOUND FREIGHT..."
'to take sb's pride and put it on somewhere/something' Is it a common usage? Do you say or write it often?
"RIDE AND GO BACK TO THE LOVED ONES
THE ONES I LEFT so far BEHIND"
6. Does 'ones' refer to the writer's parents, siblings, girl friend and friends maybe. Since 'ones' appear in plural, it must more than one person. Am I right? Yes, it means the people left behind.
Thanks in advance.
The Song Bobby Bare, Detroit City Tabs, Chords, Lyrics
You must have your MP3 player on all the time! Good for you!