Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    identity/identification card

    On the front of the identity/identification card are the holder's photo, name, date of birth and gender.


    Do both identity and identification fit in the above and convey the same idea? Thanks.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,063
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: identity/identification card

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    On the front of the identity/identification card are the holder's photo, name, date of birth and gender.


    Do both identity and identification fit in the above and convey the same idea? Thanks.
    I forget 'cause it's been so long since I used those that I don't know if either of them are okay, A. We say "ID card".















    Just pullin' your leg, A. Yup they're both used. Could you google them in "an exact phrase" search to see which is the more frequent. I'm knackered!

  2. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Smile Re: identity/identification card

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    I forget 'cause it's been so long since I used those that I don't know if either of them are okay, A. We say "ID card".















    Just pullin' your leg, A. Yup they're both used. Could you google them in "an exact phrase" search to see which is the more frequent. I'm knackered!
    Thanks, riverkid.
    Got it.
    By the way, what do you mean by "I'm knackered?" I've never heard of it before.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,063
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: identity/identification card

    Check,

    knackered - OneLook Dictionary Search

    and report back here for all the ESLs who've never heard of it before, okay, A. I'm all done in; bushed; tuckered out; ...

  3. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: identity/identification card

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Check,

    knackered - OneLook Dictionary Search

    and report back here for all the ESLs who've never heard of it before, okay, A. I'm all done in; bushed; tuckered out; ...
    Thanks, riverkid.
    I prefer to learn English usage from native speakers rather than from a dictionary. It's because the formers are living and kicking, while the latters are dead and indifferent.
    Thanks again, my dear and kind friends.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 64
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: identity/identification card

    An identification card will prove your identity to authorities, for example, but casually speaking I would use either one.

  4. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: identity/identification card

    Quote Originally Posted by redcrows View Post
    An identification card will prove your identity to authorities, for example, but casually speaking I would use either one.
    Thanks, redcrows, for the sesible reply.

Similar Threads

  1. credit card cheque
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Aug-2006, 01:27
  2. point card
    By Itasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Feb-2006, 06:33
  3. a credit card / credit card(s)
    By Itasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2005, 06:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •