'no one' vs 'noone'

Status
Not open for further replies.

seba_870701

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi folks.
I'd like ask You rather a silly question: recently, I've noticed that more & more people (to be more specific, learners at my college) write 'no one' as a one word ('noone'), which apparently is a common mistake.. isn't it? Do You have any ideas how come that such a problem arose among us? Do other learners, or maybe You, have similar spelling problems? :?:
Kind regards,
Sebastian :)

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Something that can rouse pundits to fury. It should be no one. It can be hyphenated as no-one. If you lose the space or hyphen, you are left with a doubt as to a possible misspelling.

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
I think people write it that way because it's said that way by some, sort of an emphasis. I've seen it used by very intelligent native speakers on some internet discussion groups. I can't say that I've heard it a great deal as it seems to be a regional thing.

What area of the country are you in, S?

seba_870701

Member Type
Student or Learner
I live in Wroclaw which is the capital city of Lower Silesia in southwestern Poland. Roughly 100km to Polish-Czech border. For closer details see here.
R~

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
When I post replies in this forum, I have to be very careful that I don't make 'typos", that is, typographical errors, that is, mistakes in my typing, because this can confuse people who are learning English - they think because I am a native speaker, what I have written must be correct!
I saw an example of "noone" in a post yesterday. I wonder if people who are learning English see such mistakes and think, "Oh, that must be the way you spell it", and so this error spreads.
I made one myself today. I was replying to, "come to one's feet", but in the example I made up, I typed, "The audience came to it's feet" ( because in my mind I was still thinking "to one's feet"). People who then read it might be puzzled as to what rule of grammar I was using that I used the apostrophe! Fortunately, RonBee spotted it and edited my post. It should be, of course, "The audience came to its feet."

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
I usually type "no-one" because I've never liked the way "noone" looks. I'd use "no one" to say something like "no one person could climb that mountain." If there's a noun after the word "one."

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
I live in Wroclaw which is the capital city of Lower Silesia in southwestern Poland. Roughly 100km to Polish-Czech border. For closer details see here.
R~

Given that you're in Poland and I'd have to guess that your classmates are other ESLs, then likely, it's simply it's a mistake.

When I post replies in this forum, I have to be very careful that I don't make 'typos", that is, typographical errors, that is, mistakes in my typing, because this can confuse people who are learning English - they think because I am a native speaker, what I have written must be correct!
I saw an example of "noone" in a post yesterday. I wonder if people who are learning English see such mistakes and think, "Oh, that must be the way you spell it", and so this error spreads.
I made one myself today.

I agree, to some degree, David, but teachers often make mistakes for they too are human. I used to practice making mistakes in order to get my students to realize that we teachers are human and there is a way to tell a teacher that they made an error without it being considered a major faux pas.

Regarding 'noone', ESLs also have to realize just what it is, a transcribed account of how we actually say some things in some situations.

Noone are going to go with me! I'm going alone, GOT IT?

Now, I'm sure that all will forgive you for the slip with <its> / <it's> but there's no way on god's green earth that we'll ever let you forget,

'typos"!

;)

seba_870701

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank You all for the feedback! Now I'm absolutely sure how to spell that phrase :-D And, regarding native speakers' mistakes, isn't there one "it's" too many in Your post, RiverKid? ;-)
Yours,
Sebastian

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Thank You all for the feedback! Now I'm absolutely sure how to spell that phrase :-D And, regarding native speakers' mistakes, isn't there one "it's" too many in Your post, RiverKid? ;-)
Yours,
Sebastian

There may well be, Seba. I'm god only on certain days, on others a mere mortal.

Cartroo

Member Type
Other
I found this thread after a quick Google search to convince my friend that "noone" is the incorrect usage. It's something I've noticed quite a few native speakers using, despite it being wrong.

I suspect that people are familiar with "nobody" being a single word, so because "no one" means essentially the same thing they assume it also should be a single word.

I'm sure Peter Noone would appreciate people getting it right! :)

seba_870701

Member Type
Student or Learner
I found this thread after a quick Google search to convince my friend that "noone" is the incorrect usage. It's something I've noticed quite a few native speakers using, despite it being wrong.

I suspect that people are familiar with "nobody" being a single word, so because "no one" means essentially the same thing they assume it also should be a single word.

I'm sure Peter Noone would appreciate people getting it right! :)
Welcome to the forum Cartroo :hi:

oitafish

Member Type
English Teacher
I agree with Cartroo. People learn:
some one --> someone
any one --> anyone
no body --> nobody

and naturally assume
no one --> noone

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Given that you're in Poland and I'd have to guess that your classmates are other ESLs, then likely, it's simply it's a mistake.

I agree, to some degree, David, but teachers often make mistakes for they too are human. I used to practice making mistakes in order to get my students to realize that we teachers are human and there is a way to tell a teacher that they made an error without it being considered a major faux pas.

Regarding 'noone', ESLs also have to realize just what it is, a transcribed account of how we actually say some things in some situations.

Noone are going to go with me! I'm going alone, GOT IT?

Now, I'm sure that all will forgive you for the slip with <its> / <it's> but there's no way on god's green earth that we'll ever let you forget,

'typos"!

;)

Riverkid,

"I used to practice making mistakes in order to get my students to realize that we teachers are human and there is a way to tell a teacher that they made an error without it being considered a major faux pas."

In trying to be 'human', I'm sure that you meant to type: ... there's no way on God's green earth that we'll ever let you forget..."

Amen, brother! :)

Cheers,
Amigos4

Omania

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Oman
Current Location
Oman
Hi guys, ;-)
A new member.. anyone to welcome me??:roll:
Yeah, bro. I myself have faced this problem when learning English:oops:. But it was a matter of time. :up:

Drifteroni

Member Type
Student or Learner
Shouldn't it be: The audience came to their feet?
No, because the people in the audience are being referred to collectively; every person in the audience got out of their chairs, thus "The audience came to its feet" is correct. If only some people got up you could say "Some members of the audience came to their feet".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.