Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Modals

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Modals

    Re:
    • 1.I tried to pay for the dinner, but they _____ hear of it.
      (1)wouldn't
      (2)couldn't
      (3)shouldn't
      Answer: (1)


    I chose (2). I tried to pay for it, but the action was failed because someone has hearing problems (maybe just because earwax. :wink: )



    Re:
    • 8.It's strange that you ____ have bought the same dress.
      (1)would
      (2)should
      Answer: (2)


    I chose (1) because I think it associated with someone's willingness.



    Re:
    • 12.It's your own fault you feel sick- you ____ eaten so much.
      (1)wouldn't
      (2)shouldn't
      (3)couldn't
      Answer: (2)


    I want to know why you put a past participle after a modal. Thanks.


    All questions are from Language Quizzes/ Advanced.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    1.I tried to pay for the dinner, but they _____ hear of it.
    (1)wouldn't
    (2)couldn't
    (3)shouldn't
    Answer: (1)


    I chose (2). I tried to pay for it, but the action was failed because someone has hearing problems (maybe just because earwax. )
    I for one would choose (1), because the most probable situation is that they would not let me settle the bill.

    8.It's strange that you ____ have bought the same dress.
    (1)would
    (2)should
    Answer: (2)


    I chose (1) because I think it associated with someone's willingness.
    I would choose (2), because it's one of the subjunctive forms. I don't think 'would' is correct.



    12.It's your own fault you feel sick- you ____ eaten so much.
    (1)wouldn't
    (2)shouldn't
    (3)couldn't
    Answer: (2)


    I want to know why you put a past participle after a modal. Thanks.
    Yeah, I don't know either. Never seen that before.

    FRC

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Modals

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Re:
    • 1.I tried to pay for the dinner, but they _____ hear of it.
      (1)wouldn't
      (2)couldn't
      (3)shouldn't
      Answer: (1)


    I chose (2). I tried to pay for it, but the action was failed because someone has hearing problems (maybe just because earwax. :wink: )



    Re:
    • 8.It's strange that you ____ have bought the same dress.
      (1)would
      (2)should
      Answer: (2)


    I chose (1) because I think it associated with someone's willingness.



    Re:
    • 12.It's your own fault you feel sick- you ____ eaten so much.
      (1)wouldn't
      (2)shouldn't
      (3)couldn't
      Answer: (2)


    I want to know why you put a past participle after a modal. Thanks.


    All questions are from Language Quizzes/ Advanced.
    1. It's #1. The phrase "wouldn't hear of" means "would not consider". It is as if they could voluntarily become deaf to the proposition.

    2. In AE, we would use "would". I think "should" would be OK in BE.

    3. #2, but the word "have" is needed. You shouldn't have eaten so much.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Modals

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Re:
    • 1.I tried to pay for the dinner, but they _____ hear of it.
      (1)wouldn't
      (2)couldn't
      (3)shouldn't
      Answer: (1)


    I chose (2). I tried to pay for it, but the action was failed because someone has hearing problems (maybe just because earwax. :wink: )



    Re:
    • 8.It's strange that you ____ have bought the same dress.
      (1)would
      (2)should
      Answer: (2)


    I chose (1) because I think it associated with someone's willingness.



    Re:
    • 12.It's your own fault you feel sick- you ____ eaten so much.
      (1)wouldn't
      (2)shouldn't
      (3)couldn't
      Answer: (2)


    I want to know why you put a past participle after a modal. Thanks.


    All questions are from Language Quizzes/ Advanced.
    1. It's #1. The phrase "wouldn't hear of" means "would not consider". It is as if they could voluntarily become deaf to the proposition.

    2. In AE, we would use "would". I think "should" would be OK in BE.

    3. #2, but the word "have" is needed. You shouldn't have eaten so much.

    1. Ah, it's a phrase.
    2. FRC mentinoned #2 is a subjunctive mood. You didn't buy the same dress, which is very strange. Right?
    3. Thanks. Somebody should update the language quizz/ Advanced/ Modals. 8)

    Thank you very much, my dear Mike. :D

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Modals

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Re:
    • 1.I tried to pay for the dinner, but they _____ hear of it.
      (1)wouldn't
      (2)couldn't
      (3)shouldn't
      Answer: (1)


    I chose (2). I tried to pay for it, but the action was failed because someone has hearing problems (maybe just because earwax. :wink: )



    Re:
    • 8.It's strange that you ____ have bought the same dress.
      (1)would
      (2)should
      Answer: (2)


    I chose (1) because I think it associated with someone's willingness.



    Re:
    • 12.It's your own fault you feel sick- you ____ eaten so much.
      (1)wouldn't
      (2)shouldn't
      (3)couldn't
      Answer: (2)


    I want to know why you put a past participle after a modal. Thanks.


    All questions are from Language Quizzes/ Advanced.
    1. It's #1. The phrase "wouldn't hear of" means "would not consider". It is as if they could voluntarily become deaf to the proposition.

    2. In AE, we would use "would". I think "should" would be OK in BE.

    3. #2, but the word "have" is needed. You shouldn't have eaten so much.

    1. Ah, it's a phrase.
    2. FRC mentinoned #2 is a subjunctive mood. You didn't buy the same dress, which is very strange. Right?
    3. Thanks. Somebody should update the language quizz/ Advanced/ Modals. 8)

    Thank you very much, my dear Mike. :D
    You're very welcome. :wink:

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Modals

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Re:
    • 1.I tried to pay for the dinner, but they _____ hear of it.
      (1)wouldn't
      (2)couldn't
      (3)shouldn't
      Answer: (1)


    I chose (2). I tried to pay for it, but the action was failed because someone has hearing problems (maybe just because earwax. :wink: )



    Re:
    • 8.It's strange that you ____ have bought the same dress.
      (1)would
      (2)should
      Answer: (2)


    I chose (1) because I think it associated with someone's willingness.



    Re:
    • 12.It's your own fault you feel sick- you ____ eaten so much.
      (1)wouldn't
      (2)shouldn't
      (3)couldn't
      Answer: (2)


    I want to know why you put a past participle after a modal. Thanks.


    All questions are from Language Quizzes/ Advanced.
    From another AE speaker:

    1. What Mike said. :wink:
    2. I would say "should" (assuming it is about something that has already happened). Of course, I wouldn't really say that, since I don't wear dresses. :wink:
    3. What Mike said. :wink:

    :)

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Modals

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    1. What Mike said. :wink:
    2. I would say "should" (assuming it is about something that has already happened). Of course, I wouldn't really say that, since I don't wear dresses. :wink:
    3. What Mike said. :wink:

    :)
    That's interesting about #2.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In my opinion it's similar to 'Should you buy the same dress, ....'.

    FRC

Similar Threads

  1. modals 2
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-Apr-2004, 00:02
  2. passive modals
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2004, 22:12
  3. modals
    By mehes monika in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2004, 17:51
  4. Are modals verbs?
    By Red5 in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-Nov-2003, 12:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk