Take is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Question British or American English

Please tell me are the following phrases "Are you going to enter the classroom?" "Are you going to enter the school?" Are they British or USA English? As a Brit I would say, "Are you going to the classroom today?" and "Are you going to school today?" The use of enter as in the first 2 questions is used quite commonly by ESL learners. I look forward to some replys.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: British or American English

Quote Originally Posted by Take View Post
    Please tell me are the following phrases "Are you going to enter the classroom?" "Are you going to enter the school?" Are they British or USA English? As a Brit I would say, "Are you going to the classroom today?" and "Are you going to school today?" The use of enter as in the first 2 questions is used quite commonly by ESL learners. I look forward to some replys.
    As a general query of whether or not I was going to school, I would not use, "Are you going to enter the classroom?" "Are you going to enter the school?"

I would use, "Are you going to the classroom today?" and "Are you going to school today?"m as you suggest.

I could see me asking the "enter" questions though if I was outside the classroom or school with someone and there was a specific reason why we would question entering the school or classroom.