• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default wear scholarship lightly

Hi there,

I came across the phrase "wear his considerable scholarship lightly", which left me puzzled and no dictionaries I could lay my hands on were of any help. What exactly does it mean?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: wear scholarship lightly

" Considerable scholarship" indicates that this is a very learned person. We speak of wearing the mantle (a cloak) of greatness, or of fame. Whilst other people might show this man great respect, he himself takes his deep learning for granted, rather than walking around in deep serious thought, conscious of how very clever and educated he is - he wears (the mantle) of his considerable scholarship lightly.

yuanmingqing is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your explanation. To put things beyond doubt, does it actually mean despite his formidable scholarship, he does not put on airs and conducts himself with great modesty without showing an inflated ego? Does this phrase work the other way round like wearing someone's scholarship heavily?

Many thanks
    yuanmingqing

Post Thanks / Like

...does it actually mean despite his formidable scholarship, he does not put on airs, and conducts himself with great modesty without showing an inflated ego?

Precisely

Does this phrase work the other way round like wearing someone's scholarship heavily?
    No - one would not actually phrase it that way. If somebody was so educated, and had an inflated ego because of it, we would more likely call them some other term, such as " a pompous ass".

tazzygirl is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default need help for editing.Personal statement for my scholarship

On March 09, 2006 I have entered the United State, a land of promise where many people dream to go. I never knew how life would change for me. What I had in mind was a simple dream, a simple ambition of having a good education as a foundation for my success. God had now permitted me to be here and to experience a binding of a family that I hadn’t had for the past 15 years. Being away from my father was not that easy, especially for my mother who had to play the role of father, mother and best friend. I developed this dedication in life because I realized how my father sacrificed by working far from me and my mother. In that all these contribute to my well being, I must say that I am blessed and that there are no obstacles I can't face because I belong to a strong and loving family.
    My name is _____________ and I am now in my second year of college here at Southwestern College. My first semester here was the first steps in my career plan that of being a nursing major. I started my first semester in summer 2006. Most of my classmates were fluent in English and I didn’t feel confident about my English skills. I was afraid that people might misunderstand me. So, these became a challenge for me to be a part of this community even if English was my second language. I was given an opportunity to work at Academic Success Center (ASC) which was the tutoring center of Southwestern school. That opportunity made me happy and helped me to be a better individual. I learned that life was like a river, you should learn how to flow, and nothing can stop you from going. I am now in my second year of college and despite of my language issue, I am still willing to pursue my goal and be able to maintain my GPA, not only for me, but for my family who believes in me. This great world had opened my mind and heart to appreciate these new things around me: new school, new friends, and new mentors. These shouldn’t be the cause of my fear, but instead accept it as my second family, my security, and my second home who taught me to be strong, and willingness to challenge assumptions of life. I should not stop from here, but instead use these as my footstep for that success. I could perhaps see my self handling my diploma and thanking back my family, and my Southwestern family for giving me that strength and courage to succeed.
    I have nothing to promise, but my sincerity of doing my best in achieving this goal. I am glad that despite of where I came from; this new world accepted me for who and what I am. I have my mentor and friends who stand by me who’s giving me words of wisdom and whose standing as a living proof. May I capable of all your trust and I will endure to rest of my life. Now I am so grateful that I belong to this community college and whatever life would be, I will always be proud to be a part of my home Southwestern College.