• Post Thanks / Like

How about my accent?

Here is the script:
    The Beatles were an English group of musicians from Liverpool whose members were John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr. They are one of the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed bands in the history of popular music.[2]
    In the United Kingdom, The Beatles released more than 40 different singles, albums, and EPs that reached number one. This commercial success was repeated in many other countries: their record company, EMI, estimated that by 1985 they had sold over one billion discs and tapes worldwide.[3] The Beatles are the best-selling musical act of all time in the United States, according to the Recording Industry Association of America.[4]
    In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked The Beatles #1 on its list of 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.[5] According to that same magazine, their innovative music and cultural impact helped define the 1960s,[2] and their influence on pop culture is still evident today.
    I divided my speech into 3 parts:
    http://www.soundupload.com/audio/lnn26ds8uo5ra87
    http://www.soundupload.com/audio/dym0exta3ihst9t
    http://www.soundupload.com/audio/8xwbd6twi2j4qh9

Please check them out ^^

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: How about my accent?

I have listened to the first download, and your pronunciation is very good - I could understand every word. Understand though, that to a native English speaker, most people who learn English as a second language do have a strong accent: we can tell if a person was born in India, or Japan, or China - or America! But then, to my friends in the United States I have an accent - a pronounced British accent!
    There are a couple of words I think I can help you with:
    were an English group
    You are pronouncing the -re too strongly, so that it sounds like were-ra. "were" rhymes with her, fur, sir. Don't let the -e on the end of "were" fool you into thinking it has to be pronounced. Think of it as spelt "wer"
    musicians: you seem to be saying, music -sons. Music is pronounced as if it were spelt musik (as you pronounce it when saying 'musicians - musik-sons"
    Try saying it as if it were spelt mu-SISH-uns. But again, watch the 'mu' sound - it is pronounced as if you are saying 'myu', rather than 'moo'
    commercially : you seem to be saying it like, COM -ersly. Breaking the sounds up, it would be : com - MEERSH-ally - the 'i' sound is what we call "swallowed', so that it is barely pronounced.
    I will try to listen to the other downloads in the next few days, and help some more.
    Do you have an English speaker that you learn from? If so, I would think they are are American or Dutch by birth!

• Post Thanks / Like

Oh, a big thanks to you, David L.
    I will try to make another effort and please correct me more, can you?
    Oh, I don't have an English speaker/tutor. Well, I just learn them through American films and Dictionary... ... Thanks for your comment

• Post Thanks / Like

Then I am amazed at what you have achieved just by watching films. That explains why you seem to have an American accent in your speech (lol)!

• Post Thanks / Like

Lol, I'm working on Slang here... Most of people from my country have American accent, not the British one, and I haven't seen a Vietnamese having a British accent. I love the Brtitish's and Australian's ones but I don't know how to.

• Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I can hear that if you work on the correct pronunciation of certain words, you will have a very interesting accent. There is a quality to the sound of your speaking voice which is very pleasant.
    I am not sure how difficult it is for you to record and upload examples of your speech for others to download. If you can, after you have practiced, make another recording of the words I have picked out, so I can hear if I have conveyed the correct pronunciation to you. Let me know.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David,
    But I wonder why African American and Caucasian have different way of speaking). Strong accent for those African and it seems a little rude towards people.