Thread: 300

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy 300

They' re for the CPE. I just can't get used to the new word limit. FCE was a piece of cake, only up to 180 words. Now, I'm so nervous I won't reach the limit, I end up being over it

Help anyone?
    1st essay, review.

TASK
    You have recently seen a film that depended very much on the use of technology and special effects for its impact. Write a review of the film, evaluating the use of technology and special effects in films in general and this film in particular, and giving your opinion about this type of development. 300-350 words
    And here it is.

Zack Snyder’s epic blockbuster film 300 tells the story of the war between Spartans and Persians. and it owns the most part of its success to the extended use of special effects. How important, truly, are special effects in today’s film business?

In 300, King Xerxes and his mighty army of 1 million Persians, back in 480 B.C. threatened to conquer Greece but find resistance in the front of King Leonida’s Spartan army at the pass at Thermopylae. The reason why this historical incorrect film was crowned with success is the synthetic settings, props and characters in it. Every single frame was computer-manipulated to add a no-nonsense cartoonish texture to the scenes. The difference between this film and the rest of the computer animated films whose most likely target audience is young children, is that it is meant to be watched by more mature audiences and it does in fact include the use of cameras and actors and body doubles, not to mention the numerous stunts. The sound effects were equally strong. The budget was definitely overblown. However it did manage to beat Alexander and Troy at the box office game in their opening weeks. Film buffs seem to like technology’s impact on film-making.

It seems like the producers have realized there is a need for a change in the film industry and 300 shows it is time they started cashing in on it. Special effects help realize scenes which cannot be achieved by normal video cameras or are too expensive to produce. Technology has come a far way proving that anything is possible in the virtual reality environment of computers. If the director cannot catch a night shot with full moon, he or she can just make one in the computer. Or they can create rain or snow using special machines anytime they need it. Not only are those techniques cost-effective, but they also appeal to more and more fans. People want to be rid of their black and white realities for only an hour and half and need to watch something spectacular and enjoy their time in the theater.

Little did 300 to try to educate people on Greek history. The director had technology at his disposal and used it in his advantage to realize his creativity and it is definitely clear special effects are anything but a threat to the ongoing existence of film industry.

397 words

2nd essay, formal letter.

TASK
    You have seen a commercial on your local television station which appeared during a children's programme. You feel that an advertisement of this type is not suitable for showing on children's TV. Write a letter of complaint to the television company, explaining why you object to it and what you would like them to do about it. 300-350 words
    and here it is...

Dear Sir or Madam,
    I am writing to complain about the advertisement which I recently saw aired during the commercials of the children’s weekend TV programme.

I am referring to the advertisement which shows 6 beautiful, young children playing in the school yard when a new-at-school child walks up to them and asks if she can play with them. She immediately gets rejected owing to not wearing the specific brand of clothes advertised which the rest of the children are all wearing. To begin with, this brand’s fashion line costs a lot more than the average, employed householders can afford. It is common knowledge that most families’ financial situations are tight and this is no time for lavishness.

The children, at the most impressionable age they will ever be, should learn the value of money and demanding to get a lovely pair of trendy trousers as a prize for getting good grades or eating right or simply as a Christmas present will not teach them this lesson.

To make matters worse, the impact that this advertisement is making on the children’s morale and self-confidence, especially on those unpopular and introverted ones, is literally crushing. Not only do they have to face challenges in the grounds of homework load at school, but they now must go under even more peer pressure in and out of school.

I would like to request that this advertisement is removed from your commercial breaks during the children’s zone. Its place can be filled in by messages about developing healthier eating habits at a young age or simply by extending the air time of the educational shows on the children’s TV. I have already made a written complaint to the advertising company, indenting on their riddance of the fashion company concerned as their clients. I enclose a copy of this letter for your reference.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

317 words.

Thanks a million in advance.
    Last edited by Greekgirl; 12-Nov-2007 at 13:00.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two new CPE essays.

Quote Originally Posted by Greekgirl View Post
    Zack Snyder’s epic blockbuster film 300 tells the story of the war between the Spartans and the Persians. And it owes most of its success to the extended use of special effects. How important, truly, are special effects in today’s film business?

In 300, King Xerxes and his mighty army of 1 million Persians, back in 480 B.C. threatened to conquer
    Greece but met resistance in the form of King Leonida’s Spartan army at the pass at Thermopylae. The reason why this historically inaccurate film was successful is the synthetic settings, props and characters in it. Every single frame was computer-manipulated to add a no-nonsense cartoonish texture to the scenes. The difference between this film and the rest of the computer animated films whose most likely target audience is young children is that it is meant to be watched by more mature audiences and it does in fact include the use of cameras and actors and body doubles, not to mention the numerous stunts. The sound effects were equally strong. The budget was definitely overblown. However it did manage to beat Alexander and Troy at the box office game in their opening weeks. Film buffs seem to like technology’s impact on film-making.

did not try to educate people about Greek history. The director had technology at his disposal and used it in his advantage to realize his creativity and it is definitely clear special effects are no threat to the ongoing existence of film industry.

What do you think?
    Last edited by RonBee; 13-Nov-2007 at 06:46. Reason: spelling

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The original has 398 words (according to MSWord). My revision has 246 words. Now, decide what you want to put back in. One thing you might want to look at is adjectives. For example, in the phrase "epic blockbuster film" do you need both "epic" and "blockbuster"?

(Post the other essay somewhere else.)

~R

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much.